Lifting safe - Ballast Box needed?

/ Lifting safe - Ballast Box needed? #1  

Jtschnel

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 1026R
I spend time here, mostly reading and learning. Have learned a lot and really appreciate those who post and assist.

I hope I have the correct place for this question, if not I apologize. I am having a gun safe being delivered next week and have opted to lift it off the delivery truck myself to reduce the delivery cost (they won't have to bring a fork lift with them). I'll then need to position it in the garage I've built out for cars, motorhome, etc.

I have a cabbed JD 3046R with an H165 loader, and wondering two things.

First, will that the 3046R with H165 loader be able to lift it off a larger delivery truck ... safely?

Second, assuming it can lift it, should I attach a ballast box before unloading? I don't have one yet but will purchase one before if needed.

The shipping dimensions of the safe are listed as 63.33 H x 42.79 W x 28.00 D, and the weight is around 750 lbs.

Many thanks,

Jim

/ Lifting safe - Ballast Box needed? #2  
750# will probably be fine.

If in doubt, as soon as you get the load away from the truck, lower it as close to the ground as you can.

From what I can see your tractor weighs likely 3000+# so I doubt 750 will lighten the rear end much. If you do have a 3pt attachment, any weight back there at all will act as a ballast; people use a ballast box just because it's compact - a mower of any sort is likely to serve just as well, they may just stick out more so require some attention when driving to avoid hitting anything with them.

/ Lifting safe - Ballast Box needed? #3  
I think your 3046 has enough weight (especially if the rear tires are filled) to handle 750 lbs. without 3PH ballast. 750 lbs. isn't really that much weight.
However, I do advise you to get a ballast box (or fabricate one). For heavier lifting, the box is the perfect implement to balance out the tractor/FEL.

/ Lifting safe - Ballast Box needed? #4  
Do you have forks? I also agree you should be fine but like ning said hook up the heaviest attachment on your 3 point hitch, this issue with these delivery trucks is often the height. The object is not that heavy but your boom is already max out so you dont have all your lifting capacity... Make sure the load is as close as your tractor as possible, if possible have the truck in a low point and your tractor as high as possible.

/ Lifting safe - Ballast Box needed? #5  
You can always remove the door of the safe to reduce the weight. The door to my safe is ~40% of the total weight of the gun safe. Just don't lose the ball bearings in the hinges, (one ball per hinge). Four stout guys brought my safe into the house and up a flight of stairs, it would not have been possible with the door on the safe.

/ Lifting safe - Ballast Box needed? #6  
While everyone here has good numbers in mind, I have to disagree with the group here, just because of the unique lift to weight ratio I've observed on this particular machine. I have the 3033R, same tractor as your 3046R, with a smaller engine.

The trouble with this tractor is that the 320R loader is so unusually heavy that, even given the substantial weight of this machine, the ass gets awful light awful fast. In this particular regard, it is worse than any other machine I've ever owned. I can't even drive the thing up a damp grassy hill with the HD bucket installed, without going to 4wd if I don't have some weight on the rear.

That #750 lb. safe isn't much, with regard to the lift capacity of that loader (assuming 320R), but it's going to be awful high in the air. If your ground is anything less than level, you're going to want some implement on the rear of that tractor. Mind you, it doesn't have to be a ballast box; a snowblower, aerator, or brush hog works just as well.

Last edited:
   / Lifting safe - Ballast Box needed? #7  
Your tractor will lift it fine as long as you have the counterweight on the 3ph.
Great excuse to get yourself a ballast box. I have just washed stones filling mine. But will add, also have the iMatch quick hitch to make attaching the ballast box to the 3ph.

You have not given any info how you plan to hook the FEL to the safe. Very important, and a pic of your plan will help with our help for you. If you have forks to slip under the pallet, then you should be good. If only a bucket, then prolly not good.

Now, if you can lift the safe off the truck bed, then hold that position while the truck pulls away. Then slowly lower the safe to the ground as you keep the load level.
Suggest not backing away unless perfectly straight away until the load is near the ground.

/ Lifting safe - Ballast Box needed? #8  
While everyone here has good numbers in mind, I have to disagree with the group here, just because of the unique lift to weight ratio I've observed on this particular machine. I have the 3033R, same tractor as your 3046R, with a smaller engine.

The trouble with this tractor is that the 320R loader is so unusually heavy that, even given the substantial weight of this machine, the ass gets awful light awful fast. In this particular regard, it is worse than any other machine I've ever owned. I can't even drive the thing up a damp grassy hill with the HD bucket installed, without going to 4wd if I don't have some weight on the rear.

That #750 lb. safe isn't much, with regard to the lift capacity of that loader (assuming 320R), but it's going to be awful high in the air. If your ground is anything less than level, you're going to want some implement on the rear of that tractor. Mind you, it doesn't have to be a ballast box; a snowblower, aerator, or brush hog works just as well.
Don't see a 320R loader?

/ Lifting safe - Ballast Box needed? #9  
Don't see a 320R loader?
OP mentioned 3046R tractor. The preferred loader for that tractor is the 320R, although he could have gone cheap and bought the more economical (phased out) 300R.

More importantly, I want to see what's going into the safe. I'll show you mine, if you show me yours! :D

/ Lifting safe - Ballast Box needed? #10  
I'd use a two wheel hand truck for a safe. I've put them in for people. Your tractor should be fine to get off truck.