Lifting safe - Ballast Box needed?

/ Lifting safe - Ballast Box needed? #31  
I am interested in how the unloading went? I took my trailer to the store where I bought my safe and they loaded it, then I came home and used my tractor to unload it. Nothing to it!
David from jax
On friday he said its being delivered "next week".

So I assume the unloading hasnt happened yet. But I too and curious for the update when it does happen.

/ Lifting safe - Ballast Box needed? #32  
The one benefit of a back hoe as ballast is that if you really get yourself mired in, you can grab a bucket load, and stretch it way out, then the front end gets really light, while you try to wiggle yourself out of the mess you drove yourself into . But, on the whole, I agree, for compact tractors, I'm not a back hoe fan, I find the separate excavator much more useful. By having two machines, when you get one stuck, you have the other to get it out with (or get stuck too!)

/ Lifting safe - Ballast Box needed? #33  
I find the separate excavator much more useful. By having two machines, when you get one stuck, you have the other to get it out with (or get stuck too!)
Correct, however my Backhoe can lift and swing to side and move my 8,000 tlb tractor, So I have used the excavator for rescue only a few times.
There is 2WD stuck, 4wd stuck, 4WD TLB and come-along stuck, then there is excavator stuck. Yuck, that's a mess!

/ Lifting safe - Ballast Box needed? #34  
Correct, however my Backhoe can lift and swing to side and move my 8,000 tlb tractor, So I have used the excavator for rescue only a few times.
There is 2WD stuck, 4wd stuck, 4WD TLB and come-along stuck, then there is excavator stuck. Yuck, that's a mess!

/ Lifting safe - Ballast Box needed? #36  
I would recommend some form of ballast. Better to have it and not need it, than the other way around.

I had my box blade when I moved my new safe.

326 - Copy.jpg

/ Lifting safe - Ballast Box needed? #37  
I'm thinking when I build a ballast box I'd like to make the mounting extendable so that the box can be tucked in tight (where I see most ballast boxes) or hung out at least a couple feet farther out the back.

The more distance it's got, the longer its lever arm and the more effective it is as a counterweight.

As it is, my light duty rotary cutter (RCR1260 - 5'), which according to specs is 500#, is probably at least as good a ballast as a 750# ballast box because the weight is so far back (a bbox typically starts much closer in, and the rc goes back much farther). Of course, you've got to pay attention when it's on because it swings so wide whenever you turn, so obviously the bbox wins on that account.

But if your bbox had a (heavy duty!) telescoping mount, you could have a compact (side to side) weight that still doesn't stick out as far as a bbox or bh (my typical ballast choice) but could easily provide 2x the ballast with little more construction cost.

/ Lifting safe - Ballast Box needed? #38  
OP also mentioned a different loader which also shows up on TractorData as the H165 FEL. Threw me off, and now wonder if the 320R gives more (or less) lift to the JD 3046R tractor.
Interesting.
Ah, good eye. I had missed that, and also forgot that Deere still had that loader on the books when the 3046R was first released.

The 320R replaced the H165 shortly after the new 3R series was released. They have similar spec's, with the newer model having 1.5" more reach and height, but suffering a corresponding 100 lb. less lift capacity due to the longer torque arm. Due to the slightly shorter reach of the H165, it may be slightly less tippy on the same machine than my 320R, with the same load.

Glad OP is using a counterweight, anyway. Brush hogs aren't the most compact and convenient things to use, but it will get the job done.

/ Lifting safe - Ballast Box needed? #39  
you should be fine, just take your time, if you feel the back end lift just set it back down. Also, make sure to have your tractor level when lifting high.