Light bar

/ Light bar #1  

docric

Tractor
kabota 3130, MF 65
Good evening! I have the front of the Kobota L3130 off as the battery needed replacement. I would like to put a lightbar (think off road atv) on top of my canopy (top cover) for more light at night as the front end loader obscures the headlights. My question is, do I need to go all the way to the battery to power that light, or can I just tie into one of the rear light wires and then up to the top. Some of those lights mention heat dissipation so fear the tie in might spell trouble. Asking as the battery is accessible at this time. It will be a pain to get to it again. :-(

SOmething like this: https://www.amazon.com/Nilight-ZH016-Lights-Harness-2-Warranty/dp/B06XW8WK6Q/ref=sr_1_7?crid=YKPII1SJCHSV&keywords=light+bar&qid=1641857795&sprefix=light+bar,aps,534&sr=8-7

Thanks for input!

Ric

/ Light bar #2  
Try to determine if that model had a work light option. My L2501 does. I have a connector under the left fender which supplies power when the key is energized. I use that connector to power may light bar. The circuit is only rated for ten amps. I purchased a 240 watt light bar which would require twenty amps however that was 240 watt equivalent lighting. An ammeter told me it only draws five amps - well within the ability of the ten amp circuit. This circuit is on whenever the key is on so I had to add a switch to turn off the light bar when not needed.

/ Light bar
Man you guys are great. It seems I saw a "work light" label on one of the fuse boxes this weekend. I'll go on a hunt for it!!

/ Light bar
why you don’t want to connected to the battery ??
If I have to do that now is the time, just will be a long wire from the front battery location to the back then up the support to the front of the canopy. Also looks like I will need a relay and fuse that some of those lights require.

/ Light bar #6  
If I have to do that now is the time, just will be a long wire from the front battery location to the back then up the support to the front of the canopy. Also looks like I will need a relay and fuse that some of those lights require.
your battery is right in front by the radiator ? usually you can buy these kits with the wiring harness, switch and all the length of wires you need super easy to install… id say that’s the way to go … i am sure you could connect them with your front lights these LED light don’t take much amps at all but i am no master in the subject or do what Roadworthy said … i am sure you will get other suggestions shortly as well

/ Light bar #7  
For the most part a lit of this stuff is fairly open and easy to access. They make wiring harness kits for most brands of lights. Makes it really easy to connect straight to the battery (usually the kits come with a switch and inline fuse) the hardest part of installing my light bars was figuring out how to best mount them.

/ Light bar #8  
My L3430 had a spare work light wire under the right fender. It was fused at 5 amps though which limited the type of light I could use. I mounted four 2.5 amp LED floodlights on the ROPS, two facing front and two facing the rear. I had to add a switch so only two were on at the same time.

/ Light bar #9  
I would not want to tap into existing wiring. The draw on that light set might draw 7.5 amps (90 watts total). My preference would be to run probably 12 awg auto wire. And might fuse it at 10 amps. with fuse holder in series on + wire near the battery. Would run wire in hard plastic spiral wrap. The hard part will be remembering to turn off the lights when you are done.

I am always somewhat concerned that tapping into existing wiring may complicate or create another issue, especially if you ever need to take it in for service regarding an electrical issue. But that is Just me. I like orginal wiring not altered.

12 AWG Gauge Automotive Wire Length vs Amperage - 2% Voltage Drop at 12 Volts DC
Total 12 Awg Wire Amperage10 Amps20 Amps25 Amps30 Amps40 Amps
Recommended Max Length (ft)14.87.45.94.93.7

/ Light bar #10  
I just did this, but tied to the battery. I used the work light wires for a USB charger. I ended up putting the LED lights below my canopy because the light beams were projected too high on top.
9F3C76A3-12F4-4372-ABB3-8E8C76C8658B.jpeg
71478328-D220-4C62-8163-D754D46C213B.jpeg