Lighter socket

/ Lighter socket #1  

Billrog

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti 2610, 580 SuperM Case Backhoe
Installed a lighter socket for LED flood light on a toggle switch ( you can see the wires hanging there ) now I'm using it for my 16 oz. elec. Coffee cup . Now the plan is to install another socket so I can use both the cup & lights at night.

Attachments

• 20211223_144507.jpg
    20211223_144507.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 108
   / Lighter socket #2  
How do you have that socket powered? I see that the ignition is on but I hope you're not powering high load items off the ignition. If it were me, I'd use a relay turned on by the ignition but draw the power for the sockets through a fused relay connection directly from the battery.

Just a thought. Keep up the personalization! (y)

/ Lighter socket #3  
Yes, ignition switches don't handle high amp loads well. But you could just use a rocker or toggle switch to power each socket and that would work OK. No need to go through the ignition at all. Best of all is to look in the fuse box and see if you already have an unused fused outlet and take your hot wire from there.

/ Lighter socket #4  
Only plus for going through ignition switch is when tractor is "off' all powering drawing accessories are also off... Just draw power from ignition switch to power relay control circuit (with or without manual switch) ... Ever leave lights on in your car and come back to dead battery?

/ Lighter socket
If you check there are accessory circuits already wired in for cab tractors with connectors on them some with the key. This is my 3rd tractor in over 30 yrs. and I've used these circuits for lights on everyone without a problem. The only thing I ever wired from the battery with a fuse was a 300w elec. heater. This tractor I plumbed in a 1600w axillary heater with single speed fan and it works
great.
great.