LIQUID TIRE BALLAST - WHAT FLUID TO CHOOSE

/ LIQUID TIRE BALLAST - WHAT FLUID TO CHOOSE #21  
Has anyone filled their front tires on a two wheel drive tractor?

/ LIQUID TIRE BALLAST - WHAT FLUID TO CHOOSE #22  
Has anyone filled their front tires on a two wheel drive tractor?
I did on on my MF50 2wd tractor I used for haying, worked just good enough to not need to buy weights. I used calcium then, but since then I have foam filled many front tires which is a lot heavier.

/ LIQUID TIRE BALLAST - WHAT FLUID TO CHOOSE #23  
I did on on my MF50 2wd tractor I used for haying, worked just good enough to not need to buy weights. I used calcium then, but since then I have foam filled many front tires which is a lot heavier.

Thanks

How hard was it to get the fluid into the tire through the small valve stem of the front tires?

Last edited:
   / LIQUID TIRE BALLAST - WHAT FLUID TO CHOOSE #24  
Some RV antifreeze is made with Propylene Glycol, and some is made with a combination of Ethanol and Methyl isobutyl ketone. I bought some Peak RV antifreeze recently and was surprised at the strong solvent odor. Peak makes both versions listed above. Apparently I got the Ethanol blend (threw away the container before researching). It smells like shellac.

/ LIQUID TIRE BALLAST - WHAT FLUID TO CHOOSE
Response to "AxleHub"

RV antifreeze is certainly an excellent freeze protection option, but in my area it is MORE EXPENSIVE than RimGuard.
I will be very satisfied with -20F washer fluid, if it only remains as a liquid down to +10, because it will never get that cold in my barn on Cape Cod.
I have experimented with RV antifreeze by diluting it to 2/3 anti freeze and 1/3 water, but it freezes at 0 degrees in my freezer.
Perhaps 2 to 1 would be OK at +10, but I have no way to do a +10 test.

/ LIQUID TIRE BALLAST - WHAT FLUID TO CHOOSE #26  
Response to "AxleHub"

RV antifreeze is certainly an excellent freeze protection option, but in my area it is MORE EXPENSIVE than RimGuard.
I will be very satisfied with -20F washer fluid, if it only remains as a liquid down to +10, because it will never get that cold in my barn on Cape Cod.
I have experimented with RV antifreeze by diluting it to 2/3 anti freeze and 1/3 water, but it freezes at 0 degrees in my freezer.
Perhaps 2 to 1 would be OK at +10, but I have no way to do a +10 test.
RV fluid is approximately $2.50 right now at Menards, TSC, and Rural King, in case that helps.
Oh, I just saw where you said Lowes had WWF for $1.18, which is a great price! I checked online for my local Lowes and they have the Splash brand WWF -20 mix for only .79, which is a steel!

/ LIQUID TIRE BALLAST - WHAT FLUID TO CHOOSE #27  
Thanks, How hard was it to get the fluid into the tire through the small valve stem of the front tires?

No harder than loading the rears. I use a connector I bought at the CO-OP 20 years ago that attaches a garden hose to the valve stem (I have seen similar connectors at a many tractor or farm store). My method is simple, I have a cheap HF sump pump that fits inside a 5 gal bucket and made a short garden hose to connect to the tire, fill the bucket with 4 gals of whatever I am filling with (I use 25 % methanol with water, I have over 400 gals of methanol from my racing days) and fill'er up. By the time it pumps in the bucket empty, you will need to vent the pressure anyway, it is not difficult process.

Last edited:
   / LIQUID TIRE BALLAST - WHAT FLUID TO CHOOSE #28  
RuralKing has 50 gallon drums of RV antifreeze for 139.99 but I would need to drive to Pennsylvania to pick up which would be worth the trip for 3 drums.
90cummins

/ LIQUID TIRE BALLAST - WHAT FLUID TO CHOOSE
90cummins:
Tractor Supply currently has -50F RV antifreeze listed on their website for $3.00 per gallon.
You certainly could not afford to drive to PA. for the $10 difference per 50 gal..
Unfortunately, it looks like there is no TSC store near you.
I am at the exact opposite end of our state from you, and do have a TSC store within 65 miles.
I plan to call them today to verify their website price.

/ LIQUID TIRE BALLAST - WHAT FLUID TO CHOOSE #30  
90cummins:
Tractor Supply currently has -50F RV antifreeze listed on their website for $3.00 per gallon.
You certainly could not afford to drive to PA. for the $10 difference per 50 gal..
Unfortunately, it looks like there is no TSC store near you.
I am at the exact opposite end of our state from you, and do have a TSC store within 65 miles.
I plan to call them today to verify their website price.

TSC is a great location for many items for me. But also Theisen's, Farm and Fleet, Fleet Farm, and Menrads can be good sources for these type of items. And I imagine the Home Depots and Lowes do price matching as well when you ask. Just recently I've seen RV Antifreeze in the 2.49 to 2.69 per gallon price ranges at a few of those I listed. And I'm told that buying a half or full pallet is not unusual :)