LIQUID TIRE BALLAST - WHAT FLUID TO CHOOSE

/ LIQUID TIRE BALLAST - WHAT FLUID TO CHOOSE #31  
Looks like Tractor supply RV Antifreeze at $3/gallon is the best deal.
Anyone know how much it weights per gallon?
90cummins

/ LIQUID TIRE BALLAST - WHAT FLUID TO CHOOSE #32  
Looks like Tractor supply RV Antifreeze at $3/gallon is the best deal.
Anyone know how much it weights per gallon?
90cummins
A 50/50 mix would have a specific gravity of 1.04 so 8.33 X 1.04= 8.66 Lbs per gallon.

/ LIQUID TIRE BALLAST - WHAT FLUID TO CHOOSE
vtsnowedin:

A 50/50 mix of RV antifreeze, in the freezer, at 0F, produces a firm icy slush mix. I question if the flakes of ice could damage the tubes by chafing the rubber over time.
Testing RV antifreeze undiluted, does produce a much softer slush at 0F.
I will test -20F windshield washer fluid to see what the difference is.
I was leaning toward using RV antifreeze, but not so much anymore.
The RV antifreeze will provide provide burst protection to -40F or -50F (for water lines, toilets, etc.), but it does NOT remain liquid.
If possible, I want to keep LIQUID in the tires, .... not firm slush.

/ LIQUID TIRE BALLAST - WHAT FLUID TO CHOOSE #34  
Has the various combinations of methanol and the other chemicals found in RV anti-freeze been proven inert as far as rubber (tires) is concerned? I have never read that it is, but everyone seems to act like it is?

/ LIQUID TIRE BALLAST - WHAT FLUID TO CHOOSE #35  
Has the various combinations of methanol and the other chemicals found in RV anti-freeze been proven inert as far as rubber (tires) is concerned? I have never read that it is, but everyone seems to act like it is?

I'd be more worried about the windshield washer fluid for a couple reasons:

1. Windshield washers' priority purpise is to be a cleaner and it has additives in it to breakdown dirt. It ages windshield wipers etc.. It would seem it would also age tires .

2. My understanding is its not earth friendly.

3. It ices at a warmer temperature than its rated temperature because it isn't designed to be an antifreeze and it is assumed that it will be stored in an engine compsrtment and have access to engine heat. Its rating is based on use at the cleaning area. It is the cheapst choice because it is much more a water with cleaning additives used on a non breakdown surface (glass).

/ LIQUID TIRE BALLAST - WHAT FLUID TO CHOOSE #36  
I'd be more worried about the windshield washer fluid for a couple reasons:

1. Windshield washers' priority purpise is to be a cleaner and it has additives in it to breakdown dirt. It ages windshield wipers etc.. It would seem it would also age tires .

2. My understanding is its not earth friendly.

3. It ices at a warmer temperature than its rated temperature because it isn't designed to be an antifreeze and it is assumed that it will be stored in an engine compsrtment and have access to engine heat. Its rating is based on use at the cleaning area. It is the cheapst choice because it is much more a water with cleaning additives used on a non breakdown surface (glass).
All I can tell you is that I have had -20*F windshield washer fluid in my tubeless tires for 14 years with no issues at all and no signs of any problems.
We have had -20*F or colder multiple times and never noticed it trying to freeze or slush (tractor is stored in an unheated pole barn)

/ LIQUID TIRE BALLAST - WHAT FLUID TO CHOOSE #37  
vtsnowedin:

A 50/50 mix of RV antifreeze, in the freezer, at 0F, produces a firm icy slush mix. I question if the flakes of ice could damage the tubes by chafing the rubber over time.
Testing RV antifreeze undiluted, does produce a much softer slush at 0F.
I will test -20F windshield washer fluid to see what the difference is.
I was leaning toward using RV antifreeze, but not so much anymore.
The RV antifreeze will provide provide burst protection to -40F or -50F (for water lines, toilets, etc.), but it does NOT remain liquid.
If possible, I want to keep LIQUID in the tires, .... not firm slush.

I wasn't recommending it just answering the math question. I use what I think is the best product made and designed for the purpose which is "RimGuard" " Also known as beet juice. I think it is worth the price and at 11 pounds per gallon dose the job better then any other option.
Others especially in more southern locations get along quite well with alternatives including plain tap water. There are threads around where people talk of parking a tractor in a manure pile on a cold night to keep the water in the tires from freezing. So some slush in a flexible tire at "freezer temps" (You didn't say what your freezer is set at)wouldn't put me off as that would be a rare and not harmful event and would only take a bit of use at those temps to warm the tires up. I wouldn't expect the slush to have any abrasive ability against the inside of the tires.

/ LIQUID TIRE BALLAST - WHAT FLUID TO CHOOSE
AxleHub:
I submit that the sun has a LOT more to do with windshield wiper aging, than any amount of wiper fluid would.
I agree that washer fluid may not be as "earth friendly" as it might be, but it is certainly a LOT better than propylene glycol (automotive antifreeze)
Windshield washer fluid certainly will freeze at a given temperature (-20F?), but I have left a car outside all night in 0F weather, and the washer pump sprayed fluid on the windshield, right after engine start in the morning.
From my freezer experiments, with (RV to water) 1 to 1 ratio, a 2 to 1 ratio, and a 3 to 1 ratio it would not be possible to spray -40F RV antifreeze at 0F.
I have not yet done a freezer experiment with -20F windshield washer fluid.....but I will.

/ LIQUID TIRE BALLAST - WHAT FLUID TO CHOOSE #39  
Propylene glycol is used in food and is not toxic. Some antifreeze brands use it as a safe alternative. The Peak RV antifreeze I mentioned above has a propylene glycol version. Ethylene Glycol is the toxic antifreeze ingredient.

/ LIQUID TIRE BALLAST - WHAT FLUID TO CHOOSE #40  
I just used the -20 washer fluid to fill the fronts on JD1025. Will be doing the rears this week after wheel spacers installed. Only problem now is I'm making ruts in my yard mowing with R4 tires. The ground was a little soft from rain days before, but it diffinetly adds the weight. Almost tempted to take 1/2 or all back out of fronts?

Last edited: