Little girl killed by rattlesnake

/ Little girl killed by rattlesnake #44  
When I was a kid in the 60s, We would shoot rattlers whit a pellet rifle. An old man down the street gave us a buck for them.

i lived near the LA Orange county line. It was a subdivision but we had a hill behind our block that was covered in ice plants. It ended at a park on one end and one of those concrete drainage ditches at the other. There were a lot of them. They would come down the retaining wall into our backyards. And we would shoot them and take them to get our money. We never asked him why he wanted them. A buck was a lot of money. We could ride our bikes to Knotts berry farm. Ride tickets were a nickel. If we got one we would sell it to him and go spend it on rides. We got 1 or 2 a week. On a good day we would find 2 at once. He wanted them right away after we killed them so maybe he was eating them. I hear they taste like chicken. Up here in the PNW we only have black racers. They are harmless and keep bugs and small mice under control. so no one bothers them. There are a bunch of them in my wooded areas. Got to watch for them when mowing near the woods. I just pick them up and put them in the woods so as not to mow them. If I am not mowing I just let them be.

/ Little girl killed by rattlesnake #45  
I lived in Central VA for over 20 years. We had so many copperheads, it was normal to see them in the spring and summer. I have scooped one out of my swimming pool with a net. You aways looked for the M. I had two black racers that lived in my garage and the kids w ere under strict orders to leave the. Be. You seldom saw them but they were almost always there. In the springtime, during gardening/ cleanups I have killed over a dozen in a day. Most were 18 inches or less. A few were 24 inches. On the day that I sold that house to a coworker, I was loading up some stuff out some stuff from the shop/garage and he cried out. There was a a beast of a copperhead in the pool area on the smooth cement and it was going straight at him. It was aggressively pursuing him. I killed it with a shovel.
For the most part, copperheads are ambush hunters. They don’t run away like a lot of other snakes. They just wait till you are close enough and then they bite you.

Now that I have moved to the blue ridge mountains, I still have copperheads, and further up the mountain we have timber rattlers. I haven’t seen a rattler yet. If I do, I’ll dump the clip.

/ Little girl killed by rattlesnake #46  
Almost stepped on a copperhead today... 20" long, glad I had a shovel in hand. The head was still trying to bite for 5 minutes. I saw this one a week or so ago and gave it a chance to leave... I had hoped it had moved on but it didn't. It was only a couple feet off our trail and I had the shovel in hand.

/ Little girl killed by rattlesnake #47  
We have one species of rattlesnake (Massasauga) here and it is a protected species.

Michigan's only venomous snake now federally protected

Most people in my area kill them on sight. My neighbor had a nest of them under his front porch. Note the word "had". It would take a special kind of stupid to let them live there.

They have those in southern Ontario, also protected. Saw a nature TV show on those snakes making a case for their protection. They could maybe work it with cute cougar kittens but its a much harder sale with venomous snakes.

/ Little girl killed by rattlesnake
Well, wouldn't you know it. Yesterday I started this tread about the little girl dying from a rattlesnake bite near here; today I decided to take my dirt bike for a spin and look what I find crossing the road......

DSC03453rp.jpg

Buzzworm with an attitude - it did not intend to run or try to get off the road. Just coiled up and dared me to come closer.

/ Little girl killed by rattlesnake #49  
Buzzworm with an attitude - it did not intend to run or try to get off the road. Just coiled up and dared me to come closer.

And did you:D
All snakes here are protected, we lost a horse to a tiger snake, got bitten on the nose while grazing, we have a copperhead near the back door but he takes off when we move and not the same copperhead as yours, they are venomous but quite timid, just a long skinny brown snake that keeps the mice under control.
Down our end of the country we get mainly tigers, browns, blacks and copperheads and a couple of harmless tree snakes, the further north you go the bigger they get and a bit more variety.
A road worker died last year after being bitten by a huge 2 metre tiger, that is unusually big, a young boy died after being bitten by a tiger in a swimming pool, we get them at home but rarely near the house.