Loader joystick cable break

/ Loader joystick cable break #11  
Possibly if you could find some heavy duty heat shrinking tube (like used in high voltage applications) Maybe you could slide that over both the outer cable and sleeve. After you shrink it, put on 2 small hose clamps to further secure them, one on the cable sheath, the other on the sleeve. I would bet that would work long term. In fact maybe a piece of poly tube with the right id, split lengthwise to install, and secured with hose clamps might even be easier.

/ Loader joystick cable break #12  
Doesn't these cables have some sort of nylon or teflon tubing inside to help reduce the friction of the cable? I wonder if any heat will make a mess of everything that is plastic or rubber.
You are probably right Pedro

/ Loader joystick cable break #13  
You are probably right Pedro
I remember reading something about that from a joystick cable manufacturer feature list some time ago, but I'm not entirely sure though.

Anyways, found a supplier of these cables in Poland. Maybe one of these will fit these application, just need to check the dimensions:

Also, found a video on how to assemble these cables:

/ Loader joystick cable break
I just went out and checked. I actually used a tiny hose clamp around the cable, with wire connected to 2 ea light weight turnbuckles (one on each side), that were secured with wire to the joystick base for my temporary solution. It worked just fine. I do still have a spare cable now, but it is for a 4720ch which may be a different length. I'd still suggest trying to solder it first, as changing the entire cable is a pain. Remember, you are only trying to secure the outer shield. The inner cable must slide freely. Over crimping may cause the inner cable to not be able to slide.
That's was all very MacGyver of you;). It's the usual fist attempts for me too and I won't have the warranty coming to the rescue.

If you look at my photo, is the outer shield that band that looks like it got ripped that runs across the middle of the bit of the cable that's visible? The kinda brass-colored metal looks like it's a crimp, but that isn't the crimp to the cable right? Or are you saying that the crimp is to that sleeve? I'll have time later this PM to mess with it so I still don't know what I'm talking about.

Doesn't these cables have some sort of nylon or teflon tubing inside to help reduce the friction of the cable? I wonder if any heat will make a mess of everything that is plastic or rubber.
If there is, I don't see it in the photo. You'd think at least some bits of it would be visible even if it got really torn up.

I remember reading something about that from a joystick cable manufacturer feature list some time ago, but I'm not entirely sure though.

Anyways, found a supplier of these cables in Poland. Maybe one of these will fit these application, just need to check the dimensions:

Also, found a video on how to assemble these cables:

Thanks, I'll check out. I saw that video in another thread and it's full of good info. It doesn't quite go to what I need right now but it showed me what was inside the thing which I had no idea.

/ Loader joystick cable break #17  
I would not think of welding or soldering on that cable.
I could be wrong but I believe that the outer jacket is supposed to be secured by the compressed piece NOT the inner cable,
the inner cable has to be able to move inside the fixed outer jacket.
On my cables the joystick end terminates in a ball that the control yoke pulls and pushes on and the other end of the inner cable has a small threaded end which attaches to a clevis which in turn attaches to the valve spool.
Both ends of the outer jacket are secured which allows the inner cable to move back and forth.

/ Loader joystick cable break #18  
Lou your description is correct. That looks like "compressionless" housing- instead of the metal wire in the housing being a spiral, which compresses, it's mostly parallel wires. I've used a smaller version for bicycle derailleur cables. This one looks like it's got a thin spiral on the outside to help keep the housing wires in place.

It's hard to tell from the pic if the housing wires broke in the ferrule or just came out. If they came out then maybe you could carefully epoxy them back into place. Ideally with the cable removed so you don't epoxy that in there by accident. I'm not sure the cables are easy to remove from the housings though.

I think you'd do better to replace the cables and housings as a unit. Surplus Center seems to have some that might work. Also these folks: Koyker Loader Joystick Replacement Parts

Ok, I did a little more disassembly but didn't get far. See pix. I got the threaded piece off the housing on the broken cable, I could turn it by hand, but the non-broken one won't turn very far because it's constrained by the green sleeve which seems to have a metal inner sleeve. I think the threaded part is supposed to be separate from the bit that looks like it's crimped onto the green sleeve an likely metal inner sleeve. See the photo from the Short line. I didn't realize it when i was out there messing with it. It has to be separate or else there's no way to get it assembled, you could do one by spinning the housing but the 2nd one would bind.

I may have another problem because if you look closely, you can see the cable between the green sleeve and the metal which I guess is the ferrule? In the first pic above, you can see there is a metal inner sleeve that is torn, so I think I should see that metal sleeve instead of cable. I need to get the cable out from the housing so I can see exactly how it's broken which means getting the balls out of the triangular joint thing, but, yeah, it ain't easy, probably impossible without getting the bit with the ball well out from the housing. I've about used up my reserve will to live for the day so I'll have another go tomorrow. The 2 on the left are Short Line.

I really appreciate all the input.

Attachments

• trx-cap --  - 12_2_2021 , 17_43_03 - Short Line Parts Replacement Cables, Pivot Pin, and Pivot...png
    trx-cap -- - 12_2_2021 , 17_43_03 - Short Line Parts Replacement Cables, Pivot Pin, and Pivot...png
    375.9 KB · Views: 73
  • trx-cap --  - 12_2_2021 , 17_42_38 - Short Line Parts Replacement Cables, Pivot Pin, and Pivot...png
    trx-cap -- - 12_2_2021 , 17_42_38 - Short Line Parts Replacement Cables, Pivot Pin, and Pivot...png
    303.3 KB · Views: 74
  • DSC05592c.jpg
    DSC05592c.jpg
    547.6 KB · Views: 73
  • DSC05586c.jpg
    DSC05586c.jpg
    456.6 KB · Views: 74
   / Loader joystick cable break #20  
I think it's shortline parts who has a video on youtube explaining how to disassemble and reassemble the joystick and replace the triangle piece.

The cables may thread into the valve and you'd have to do that when the cable is removed from the joystick. I think the valve comes apart too. A lot of these valves are modular and you can change them from cable activated to lever activated, but I don't know how that works.