Loading hay (pics)

/ Loading hay (pics) #11  
In -35C weather if you are outside and working it's not hard to keep warm doing something like cross country skiing if there is no wind blowing.:D

But seven layers, how does a fellow move??:D

/ Loading hay (pics) #12  
In -35C weather if you are outside and working it's not hard to keep warm doing something like cross country skiing if there is no wind blowing.:D

Must be he keeps warm from dragging all those clothes along with him:D
Thinking back I don't recall ever wearing more than five layers and that was on one of the coldest jobs I have ever worked on.
I can deal with the cold pretty well but hot and humid are hard on me, haven't figured out how to dress for that.

/ Loading hay (pics) #13  
Must be he keeps warm from dragging all those clothes along with him:D
Thinking back I don't recall ever wearing more than five layers and that was on one of the coldest jobs I have ever worked on.
I can deal with the cold pretty well but hot and humid are hard on me, haven't figured out how to dress for that.

The solution would probably get you arrested if you left the property with a host of other ramifications if you didn't.

/ Loading hay (pics) #14  

I'm a wuss. I get cold real easy if I don't have the right gear. It's taken me a while to figure out the right combination of stuff, but I can stay pretty comfortable down to very low temperatures now. If I do it right, my range of motion isnt' too limited.

I start with size medium and work up to a size 2XL

undershirt
T-shirt
Long sleeve T-shirt
Hooded sweatshirt
insulated bib overalls
Fleece lined vest
Winter coat.

I wear a stocking cap under my sweatshirt hood and put up the coat hood when it gets real cold.

I wear wool glove liners insde of fleece lined leather mittens.

I have felt lined sorrel boots that I will sometimes wear, but for the most part my good old 8" georgia boots do just fine.

/ Loading hay (pics) #15  
7 or 8 layers?? I'm Canadian, and don't mind the cold so much. I think you get used to it after a few days exposure. Mind you, the first couple days are rough until you get acclimatized. -20 C is not so bad unless you add some wind, then it gets fair chilly. Notice my nickname? It's there for that reason.

We don't get that kind of cold here too often, the worst I've seen is almost -30C a few years ago. Tractor cabs are great things in that kind of temperature, assuming it'll start to begin with.

Forecast calls for -13 C here tonight, wind chill of -25. We'll bring the horses in for the night, they'll be raring to get back out tomorrow morning, probably with blankets.

Here on the east coast, we get a dampness in the cold that makes it a bit more miserable than out west, but cold is still cold no matter how you slice it.

Most lazy folk here are either watching from the window or frozen solid..:)

Chilly

/ Loading hay (pics) #16  
One time when I was up in Montana, it was 20-30 below for a few days. When it finally warmed up to zero, man you should have heard the people on the radio, talking about no more jackets, just long sleeve shirts. :eek: It was noticeably warmer at 0 vs -30 though.

I grew up in Montana, after a long winter when it starts getting up close to 40f it's 'no shirt' weather when working outside ;) On the other hand heat just kills me, I'm pretty useless for hard work outside if it gets above 77f.

/ Loading hay (pics) #17  
I guess that my temperature ideals are changing. When I was younger the heat didn't bother me and I liked the cold. Now I HATE the heat, don't care to work much if it is over 75-80 degrees. Don't really care for the temp to get to cold either. I use to disk when it was in the 20s, not sure if I would do that anymore. Didn't use to think to much about tractors with cabs, now I'm starting to think that I may want one after all. Of course now there is no way that I could upgrade to one even if I did want one. :( :D

/ Loading hay (pics) #18  
"I can deal with the cold pretty well but hot and humid are hard on me, haven't figured out how to dress for that...."

And that's what it comes down to ultimately.....what you're use to.

I can't stand the cold. Absolutely hate winter time and any temps below 60F. The heat on the other hand I handle just fine. There's always a shade tree or cold drink to provide immediate relief if you overheat.

We're on our third snow already this year and we've had several hard freezes during a period of time when we don't normally have them this severe. Winter started with a bang here and I HATE it.....!

/ Loading hay (pics) #19  
The coldest I've seen was -55C in Pembroke, ON about 30 years ago on the day after New Years. It took several hours to get my van operable. It was tough to stay out for more than 20 minutes at a time. At -40 C & F are the same and at -55 I don't care which it is.

/ Loading hay (pics) #20  
undershirt
T-shirt
Long sleeve T-shirt
Hooded sweatshirt
insulated bib overalls
Fleece lined vest
Winter coat.

Think we could keep you a whole pile warmer with a whole pile less clothes of a slightly different variety!