Loading hay (pics)

/ Loading hay (pics) #31  
I have never fed big squares. They look convenient vs rounds. Other than stacking and shipping, is there any other advantage? Nice pics, that's a lot of hay there!

Re clothing:
1 undershirt of moisture wicking fabric
2 sweatshirt type top
3. insulated coveralls or snowsuit
(same layers for the legs and lower half, 2 pairs of socks, good gloves and boots and a balaclava and hat)

That's enough to well below -40. Any more and you'd sweat and then you are messed up. We overnight camped at -43 once. It was pretty toasty inside 2 good sleeping bags but I don't think I'd do it again.

/ Loading hay (pics) #32  
I have never fed big squares. They look convenient vs rounds. Other than stacking and shipping, is there any other advantage?

Bales break into chunks/slices just like little squares.

Better leaf retention.

Easier to handle with small tractors/skidloaders.

/ Loading hay (pics)
We only do square for sale to the states.The rounds sell better up here and i think we prefer to make rounds as machinery is cheaper and you don't have the performance of stacking and tarping,Hay needs to be dryer to go into squares too.

/ Loading hay (pics) #34  
-18 F as I type this. Thank God there is no wind. to **** cold to do anything outside but feed the horse's and come back in. :(

/ Loading hay (pics) #35  
We only do square for sale to the states.The rounds sell better up here and i think we prefer to make rounds as machinery is cheaper and you don't have the performance of stacking and tarping,Hay needs to be dryer to go into squares too.

We've fed both small squares and round to the horses as availability dictated, they seem to much prefer the small squares for some reason known only to them, and we have a lot less waste. Some people here make the big squares, I hadn't realized they were the same as small only much bigger (individual flakes, etc.)

Rounds are a pain for horse feed, you need a turntable to unroll them easily.

Chilly

/ Loading hay (pics)
3 more loads went today,But the last one ......Only just..!

/ Loading hay (pics) #37  
Bales break into chunks/slices just like little squares.

Better leaf retention.

Easier to handle with small tractors/skidloaders.

I have gone to using the large squares for our horses. Putting up hay takes me about 30 minutes per cutting of driving tractor and I'm done. At 50+ tossing hay all day long is not nearly as fun as it used to be.

/ Loading hay (pics) #38  
Either that driver wasn't looking in his mirror or if he did he gave a big OH S**T. Looks like there was plenty of room to make a wide turn.

/ Loading hay (pics)