Loading issues on Dump Trailer

/ Loading issues on Dump Trailer #11  
A sheet of 3/4" plywood and some 2x4's should block that front area off. Make a shelf and put the rest of the sheet at an angle so the material has no where to go but back.

/ Loading issues on Dump Trailer #12  
^ what tin hack said. One sheet of ply and a few studs, one hour of work and you're set.

Actually I do like BackRoads suggestions, too. A few rows of caution tape across the front portion would be a good visual indicator to the loader guys (but maybe not hold up at roadway speed) ?

Last edited:
   / Loading issues on Dump Trailer #13  
Okay, you are making me appreciate my loader operator, we communicate on a CB radio and he tries to load my dump trailer evenly and he will even take his bucket and knock the top down where it does not show above the trailer sides.

/ Loading issues on Dump Trailer #14  
and he will even take his bucket and knock the top down where it does not show above the trailer sides.
I cringe so hard every time a loader operator does this to my neighbors dump trailer. Sometimes its nice and smooth, but they occasionally slam down an extra couple thousand pounds of force, when we're already loaded at max tongue weight, max GVWR and max GCVWR.

/ Loading issues on Dump Trailer #15  
1100 lbs is not too much hitch weight for that trailer. Set your WD hitch better. You need that much, if you are 10k trailer gross. Not enough weight, will surely give you control issues.

/ Loading issues on Dump Trailer #16  
I cringe so hard every time a loader operator does this to my neighbors dump trailer. Sometimes its nice and smooth, but they occasionally slam down an extra couple thousand pounds of force, when we're already loaded at max tongue weight, max GVWR and max GCVWR.
How many times has something broke?
Are your springs broken or bent?
Did he damage the sides?
What is it that makes you "cringe"?

/ Loading issues on Dump Trailer #17  
If it’s 1100 lbs when it should be 800 lbs, does that mean you’d (ideally) have to rake about 150lbs from the front to the back?

Well, maybe more or less depending on tongue length and box placement above axles, etc.. but probably not as much as you think. I have a gravity dump trailer for hauling fire wood. There are times when tongue weight is so heavy I can’t even begin to lift up the front to dump it. It surprises me how after only moving a couple dozen pieces of firewood from front to back it will usually dump by itself.

Last edited:
   / Loading issues on Dump Trailer #18  
How many times has something broke?
Are your springs broken or bent?
Did he damage the sides?
What is it that makes you "cringe"?
What makes me cringe is that a good loader operator can gently flatten the dirt/stone out in the dump bed. But a bad one applies tons of additional down pressure from a 20k lb machine when I am already loaded at full capacity, and you never know which operator you're gonna get. 10k lbs in the dump bed is a heavy enough load - watching the trailer compress another 6" from a pointless loader drop is not fun. Nothing has broken yet - it's my generous neighbors, not mine. Should I just enjoy watching this happen, until something does break?

You must drive a loader in the yard, eh? lol.

/ Loading issues on Dump Trailer #19  
What makes me cringe is that a good loader operator can gently flatten the dirt/stone out in the dump bed. But a bad one applies tons of additional down pressure from a 20k lb machine when I am already loaded at full capacity, and you never know which operator you're gonna get. 10k lbs in the dump bed is a heavy enough load - watching the trailer compress another 6" from a pointless loader drop is not fun. Nothing has broken yet - it's my generous neighbors, not mine. Should I just enjoy watching this happen, until something does break?

Most weight limits on trucks & trailers is performance related, NOT structural.
Based on stopping distances & how fast you can climb a hill.
You are no where near breaking anything.

/ Loading issues on Dump Trailer #20  

It would have to be a pretty small loader to be 20k. And they’re used to loading dump trucks all day. They’re much more durable.