Loafing Shed Build: Day One and Two

/ Loafing Shed Build: Day One and Two #11  
Nice shed you’ve got coming along there! We’ve just (nearly) finished a 42’x15’ shed for our few cattle. IMG_8888.JPGIMG_9517.JPG
Not brilliant pictures but can see the jist of what we have built.
All that’s left to do now is to fix the Yorkshire boarding on end and rear!

/ Loafing Shed Build: Day One and Two #12  
You can never have enough storage on your property. Since I bought my place I have doubled the size of my barn, and built 2 sheds to store things I don’t even need.

/ Loafing Shed Build: Day One and Two #13  
When I built mine, a friend with horses told me that they will pee on the walls and to make sure I water proof the bottom part of the inside. I was also told that they will kick the wall and to be sure to have 3/4 plywood or something stronger on the bottom part to deal with this. In four years, this hasn't happened, but if it ever does, I guess that I'm ready for it. I built two 12x12 stalls facing the opposite directions with the thought that they would use one or the other depending on the direction of the storm. Nope, all five squeeze into the one stall and stare at the same corner. Now we've closed off the other stall and use it for baby goats and turkeys. Funny how things evolve the longer we have them.

/ Loafing Shed Build: Day One and Two
Day 3: Today I got the wainscott on, installed the rafter seat and rafter plate, top side girts on, cut all 4 posts down to their finished height, and layed out the cut lines on front front posts for the ridge beam seat. Decided to go 8' in front and 7' in rear. More to follow next weekend.
20190113_161219.jpeg 20190113_161145.jpeg 20190113_161129.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
When I built mine, a friend with horses told me that they will pee on the walls and to make sure I water proof the bottom part of the inside. I was also told that they will kick the wall and to be sure to have 3/4 plywood or something stronger on the bottom part to deal with this. In four years, this hasn't happened, but if it ever does, I guess that I'm ready for it. I built two 12x12 stalls facing the opposite directions with the thought that they would use one or the other depending on the direction of the storm. Nope, all five squeeze into the one stall and stare at the same corner. Now we've closed off the other stall and use it for baby goats and turkeys. Funny how things evolve the longer we have them.
No horses, just cattle. However, I will be installing 2x12 pressure treated boards horizontally along all three walls on the inside to keep them off the wainscott. I raise American Aberdeens and they are a very gentle breed and easy on the facilities. Having said that, I still build things fairly stout....really don't want to have to do it a second time.

Day 4: Started off today at 15 degrees, so I put on lots of layers. By the time I finished for the day it was 32 degrees. Notched the front corner poles, assembled the ridge beam, set the ridge beam in place and bolted it to the front corner posts, installed the rafter ties, and finally, installed the rafters. Good day, but glad to put the tools down.
20190120_135016.jpeg 20190120_135030.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
   / Loafing Shed Build: Day One and Two #17  
That sounds cold. I don't go outside if it is below 45.

I need to build a loafing shed.

I will be watching the thread.

/ Loafing Shed Build: Day One and Two #18  
Axlebuddy, am watching your build with interest. Keep posting those good photos!

My day here on the homestead in northern Minnsesota started at -30F and ended at -1F.....felt like a heatwave by 2:00 PM. LOL!

Axlebuddy, am watching your build with interest. Keep posting those good photos!

My day here on the homestead in northern Minnsesota started at -30F and ended at -1F.....felt like a heatwave by 2:00 PM. LOL!
Wow....now that is cold!

/ Loafing Shed Build: Day One and Two #20  
Here is my loafing/tractor shedIMG_4898.jpg. Need to expand it. Was too small before I built it