Location of septic leach field

/ Location of septic leach field #1  

3Ts

Elite Member
Tractor
Case, Kubota, John Deere
There is a thread about how far a leach field can be from the septic tank. This question is How close can the leach field be to a building?

I have a gently sloping area with the house at the top, and going downhill there's the wife's shed, my shop (both connected to the septic lines), then the septic tank, then the septic field. So it all works strictly by gravity. I am considering putting in a barn and the best place is just below the septic field. I've read thru the Texas requirements but can not find any mention of how close to a building a leach field can be. The barn will have to be excavated into the hill so the wall will also act as a retaining wall very much like a basement and the barn floor will probably be below the leach field lines (meaning the leach field trench was dug 3' down and the floor of the barn will probably be more like 5' down). Worse case is that I can move the leach field further downhill and have about 200' of pipe from the tank to the distribution box for the field. There are other reasons unrelated to the septic system that would make moving the field advantageous.

/ Location of septic leach field #2  
Ask the Authority Having Jurisdiction over septic inspections, either the city or county, what the requirements are. When I was an inspector we handled inquiries like that all the time, considered part of the job. A simple drawing showing locations and distances would help.

I personally would not put it below grade below the leach field. I think you are just asking for trouble. Water takes the path of least resistance, so effluent could find it's way into or at least around the outside of the barn wall.

/ Location of septic leach field #3  
The rules for locating this kind of stuff vary by locality. Check with your local health department - at least that's who handles such things here.

/ Location of septic leach field #4  
Type soil makes each situation different. Have you checked to be sure conventional septic is allowed,many jurisdictions only permit aerobic systems.

/ Location of septic leach field #5  
Checking with your local health dept or building dept should provide the necessary answers.

/ Location of septic leach field #6  
Your state should have the rules.

/ Location of septic leach field #7  
Check with your building inspector and/or department of health. In my town the septic tank must be 20' from the house and the leach field normally is 10 feet from the leach field distribution box. So, a minimum of 30' from the house to the leach field. We also have property line setbacks, the leach field must be 50' from the property line. Your local setbacks could be different. The well and septic must be at least 100' apart, 200' if the well is downhill from the septic. Again, these are local restrictions.

/ Location of septic leach field #8  
Septic rules vary significantly by location. You need to talk with your local inspector.