Lock n lube grease gun fitting

/ Lock n lube grease gun fitting #11  
When I have a problem with a grease fitting, I replace it! :cool: I have several of those cases of fittings. It's not worth fighting with them. I've also had two of the Lock-n-Lube copies for about 4-5 years. No problems. I've noticed some fittings "leak" but they look undersized so a quick grip adjustment usually fixes that. Those leaky fittings must be metric. :rolleyes:

/ Lock n lube grease gun fitting #12  
Sometimes it is not actually the zerk that is the problem.
Sometimes grease has hardened, or dirt has accumulated beneath the zerk.
That is when the Grease Joint Rejuvinator is most appropriate.

Oh sure. Drive all that dried up grease and dirt down into the part! That will fix it. :confused:

/ Lock n lube grease gun fitting #13  
When I have a problem with a grease fitting, I replace it! :cool: I have several of those cases of fittings. It's not worth fighting with them. I've also had two of the Lock-n-Lube copies for about 4-5 years. No problems. I've noticed some fittings "leak" but they look undersized so a quick grip adjustment usually fixes that. Those leaky fittings must be metric. :rolleyes:

What is your solution when the (new) replaced grease fitting will not accept grease either?

/ Lock n lube grease gun fitting #14  
Already own one of those. They are handy, but don't free up every joint. One of these days I'll lay in a supply of replacement zerks in various sizes and orientations so I can just replace the stubborn ones.

I got lucky there.
At a gov't sale I bought a nice assortment in a 30 or so tray kit for $10.00.
Just about every angle and thread styles made.
I separated the assortment in 2 and sold the 1/2 to a mechanic buddy for $10.00.
He was very pleased.

LOL, then used the 'tray kit' for transporting my assortment of wood screws to job sites.

Guess that's called a 'win win'.

/ Lock n lube grease gun fitting #15  
Probably the most common reason a fitting won't take grease is having pressure on the side of the pin the fitting is on. Often just moving the bucket or whatever to relieve that pressure is all that is needed to get grease to flow.

Generally if I encounter a fitting that won't take grease I remove the fitting, dig all the dried grease out of the hole with a scribe, and stick the removed fitting on the grease gun to verify it operates. It is rare since I service all my equipment and use grease that doesn't harden quickly. I do on occasion have to fight with a pin here or there on my backhoe. Seems forcing things down into the dirt can have consequences.

/ Lock n lube grease gun fitting #16  
Probably the most common reason a fitting won't take grease is having pressure on the side of the pin the fitting is on. Often just moving the bucket or whatever to relieve that pressure is all that is needed to get grease to flow.

Generally if I encounter a fitting that won't take grease I remove the fitting, dig all the dried grease out of the hole with a scribe, and stick the removed fitting on the grease gun to verify it operates. It is rare since I service all my equipment and use grease that doesn't harden quickly. I do on occasion have to fight with a pin here or there on my backhoe. Seems forcing things down into the dirt can have consequences.

^^^agree with this^^ I always try to grease when the pressure is opposite from normal wear so the grease is where it will do the most good.

/ Lock n lube grease gun fitting #17  
I have a L'nL. Works great where you need a third hand. DOES NOT work on many of the zerks on the FEL. Many zerks on the FEL are in a recessed "pocket". The outer diameter of the L'nL is greater than the diameter of the recessed pocket. Back to one of my standard guns.

I've had one zerk that refused to take grease. I replaced it. I have one zerk that is ALWAYS a pain in the azz. Raise the upper jaw of the grapple - life is good.

I have two multi-multi packs of grease zerks. About 20% will ever fit and be used.

/ Lock n lube grease gun fitting #18  
I have a L'nL. Works great where you need a third hand. DOES NOT work on many of the zerks on the FEL. Many zerks on the FEL are in a recessed "pocket". The outer diameter of the L'nL is greater than the diameter of the recessed pocket. Back to one of my standard guns.

I've had one zerk that refused to take grease. I replaced it. I have one zerk that is ALWAYS a pain in the azz. Raise the upper jaw of the grapple - life is good.

I have two multi-multi packs of grease zerks. About 20% will ever fit and be used.

They make a longer version of the standard one that will fit into most spaces.

/ Lock n lube grease gun fitting #19  
What is your solution when the (new) replaced grease fitting will not accept grease either?

Then it's not the grease fitting that's bad. Fix what's bad. Ignoring the real problem won't make it go away. :confused3:

/ Lock n lube grease gun fitting #20  
DOES NOT work on many of the zerks on the FEL. Many zerks on the FEL are in a recessed "pocket". The outer diameter of the L'nL is greater than the diameter of the recessed pocket. Back to one of my standard guns.

my LnL clone has a 5/8" OD, and that did not fit all of my recessed zerks. Sometimes it was cuz the zerk was off center. Other times the ID of the pin depression was a hair less than 5/8".

My solution was to remove the zerk, then drill the depression with a 5/8" drill.

Some equipment has pivots that use removable sleeve bearings, and the zerk is perpendicular to the pin. If those don't take grease and the zerk is good, the problem is usually the sleeve has spun and blocked the hole.