Lock that won't freeze

/ Lock that won't freeze #1  

BeezFun

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B2710
Need to put a chain/lock on driveway gate. We get ice and snow so I'm looking for some kind of lock that will work in those conditions. I've never seen a key lock that didn't freeze, maybe there's some kind of combination, push button, or something I don't know about that works well in winter. Looking for recommendations.

/ Lock that won't freeze #2  
Need to put a chain/lock on driveway gate. We get ice and snow so I'm looking for some kind of lock that will work in those conditions. I've never seen a key lock that didn't freeze, maybe there's some kind of combination, push button, or something I don't know about that works well in winter. Looking for recommendations.

I don’t have that issue but all the farm gates I’ve seen with locks have a bottomless box welded to the gate where the chain passes through. No water in the lock, nothing to free. Doesn’t account for sideways heavy blowing snow but it is a starting point.

/ Lock that won't freeze
I don’t have that issue but all the farm gates I’ve seen with locks have a bottomless box welded to the gate where the chain passes through. No water in the lock, nothing to free. Doesn’t account for sideways heavy blowing snow but it is a starting point.

Can you describe that a bit more. Does the chain come in each side of the box, drop down through the open bottom, and after you put the lock on, you pull the chain back up into the house to keep it dry?

/ Lock that won't freeze #4  
Have you tried rubber coated padlocks that have a cover over the key area like this. waterproof padlock.jpg

/ Lock that won't freeze #5  
Our gates have a piece of 4" pipe welded upright, with a piece of flat stock on top. Picture a tin can on steroids, with the open end down. You can weld a metal tab onto the chain for the lock , and cut a hole in the side of the pipe to slide the tab into.

You still might have freezing problems, but you can reduce that by spraying the lock with WD-40 or something better. It's also a good idea to keep a propane torch handy.

A word of caution though... in summertime you may find a hornet's nest in your lock box.

/ Lock that won't freeze #6  
Can you describe that a bit more. Does the chain come in each side of the box, drop down through the open bottom, and after you put the lock on, you pull the chain back up into the house to keep it dry?

I remember that yes, the chains pass through from each side and where the chain overlaps you snap the lock through. Pretty much out of sight. Sorry, I don’t have a pic.

/ Lock that won't freeze #7  

45c22b2d5875d752402bdd072902769f.jpg

Like this, instead have pipe vertical, capped on top.
Slot cut in each side, flat bar or chain connect the two pipes.
With a lock on 1 side.. or both for flat bar.
Other side can be a tab, bolt on flat bar or whatever to keep it from sliding out.
See no reason it can't be adapted for a single swing gate as well.

/ Lock that won't freeze #8  
You could use the lock like George2615 posted and put a piece of rubber over it with a couple of wire ties ( rubber roofing work good)......

/ Lock that won't freeze
Have you tried rubber coated padlocks that have a cover over the key area like this.View attachment 680973

Yes I have, the problem I've had is moisture must condense inside when the temperature changes fast, so after a warm day if it gets really cold at night, the next day it's frozen internally even though it hasn't rained or snowed. Also I don't want any more keys, we have people that work for us who have to come in, there's no way they can keep track of another key.

/ Lock that won't freeze
Our gates have a piece of 4" pipe welded upright, with a piece of flat stock on top. Picture a tin can on steroids, with the open end down. You can weld a metal tab onto the chain for the lock , and cut a hole in the side of the pipe to slide the tab into.

You still might have freezing problems, but you can reduce that by spraying the lock with WD-40 or something better. It's also a good idea to keep a propane torch handy.

A word of caution though... in summertime you may find a hornet's nest in your lock box.

Thanks, that's a good idea. I've trained myself to check for hornets, they're everywhere around here.