Locked Out

/ Locked Out #1  

bdhsfz6

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5800 HST & L6060 HSTC Formerly L6060 HST B7100 HST, L2550, L3010 HST, L3430 HST
I'm the type of guy who is always loosing his car keys. As a result, I used to keep a spare key on a magnet under the bumper. My old vehicle finally gave up the ghost and I had to get a new one. Wow! Talk about culture shock. The new one doesn't have a car key or even a bumper to hang a spare on. Everything is electronic. You just push a button to start the engine. The salesman assured me it was impossible to lock myself out and put an app on my phone to use for such an emergency.

Well leave it to me to prove him wrong. A few months ago, I lost my electronic fob while riding my bike. When I got back to the vehicle, I tried to use the app to unlock it, only to find there was no cell service in my rural area. two hours later, AAA showed up and used some electronic thingy to open it. Ok, now I'm in the vehicle but there is no way to start it without the electronic fob! All AAA could do was tow the vehicle back to the dealership. I should add that due to the worldwide chip shortage, the dealer was not able to give me the usual spare e-fob at the time I bought the vehicle.

By then, the e-fob backorder had ended and the dealer gave me two new ones. To prevent this from happening again, I figured I'd be smart and ordered a third e-fob to the tune of $160 (my last spare car key cost me $2). I hid the spare in a waterproof case under the spare tire. It seemed like a good idea until I discovered I could no longer lock the vehicle?? Apparently, the vehicle thought the hidden e-fob was inside and, as a safety measure, prevented the door locks from working.

Ok, back to square one. I recently read of something called a "Faraday" case which blocks the signal from these e-fobs. I ordered one and will see if it works. I don't know why hiding a spare key has to be so complicated.

Wait, the story isn't over! My wife bought a new car last month with the same new electronic keyless system. By then, I figured I was an expert with these newfangled devices. Wrong! I keep my spares in a key drawer in the garage and just put my wife's spare e-fob in with the rest. Last week, she left her fob on her dresser by accident but her car started anyway. The fob in the key drawer was close enough to fool the car into thinking it was inside the vehicle. She drove away and a little blue light on the dash came on warning that the fob was out of range. It was so inconspicuous with all the other dash lights, she didn't notice. She drove to the mall, turned off the engine and then discovered she forgot her fob when she went to lock the vehicle.

Of course without the fob, the engine wouldn't re-start. To make it worse, the car thought someone was trying to steal it and the horn started blowing. You guessed it, no cell service so the app wouldn't work. Luckily, she was able to use the phone at the Dollar General to get me at home and I drove down with the spare e-fob.

I see some new vehicles now have a backup push button system that allows you to enter a code to unlock and start. If I live long enough, my next car will be so equipped. Of course by then, my memory will be shot and I won't remember the darn code.

Buying a new car certainly isn't as simple as it used to be. You'd think the car makers would keep us older rural folk in mind when they design these new vehicles. It won't be long before the younger generations won't know what a car key is!

/ Locked Out #2  
I just bought a 2003 f150 xl, 2wd, manual everything with 47,000 miles for 5 grand. 5 years ago, you would have never seen me with such a simple bottom of the barrel truck. I always wanted the "fully loaded Lariat".

I love it now. Got the 8 foot bed and manual transmission. No automatic nothing. Roll-up windows and manual locks. I never have to worry about electronic things goin wrong. Got 3 keys with it too. Can put them in a safe place incase I lock myself put. Also, bumpers are all steel. I don't think they will ever make simple vehicles anymore.

/ Locked Out #3  
I stick with Fords because they come with an exterior keypad to unlock the doors. Well worth it based on my wife locking her keys in the cars numerous times.

I also keep a spare key fob hidden inside the car. To prevent it from sending signals out (and not be able to lock the car), I just wrap it in tin foil to block the signals.

/ Locked Out #4  
I never wanted one of those "keyless start" options. The car makers are just trending options towards the younger high tech generation. I don't even want the "touch screen entertainment" system..... way too much to look at!

We have our no frills commuter car..... 40 mpg, manual trans, roll up windows, simple radio..... and KEYS.

My truck is a little more exquisite..... it has power windows / locks and an upgraded radio which has a CD. ..... and KEYS.

I have been playing with the "build" sites for a few manufacturers. The packages they put together are ridiculous! I want one item out of the 10 in the package.... and have to pay $2-3K for that package.... nope not gonna happen! That's why there are aftermarket companies....

/ Locked Out #5  
I've a 2019 Ford Escape.
The key FOB comes apart and apparently you can start the car as long as you can get the FOB in the right place.
/edit - Also you are SUPPOSED TO be able to lower the windows remotely.
linky
finally got a chance to try the window trick, didn't work for my key and 2019 escape.

Last edited:
   / Locked Out #6  
Something I never heard of before, or even considered. I hate how big the key is for my 2012 F150, but I do like that the lock and unlock button are on it. Too bad they couldn't make the Efob, or electric key, the size of a credit card so it could attack to the back of a smart phone. It's a lot harder to lose a phone then a key.

/ Locked Out
I've a 2019 Ford Escape.
The key FOB comes apart and apparently you can start the car as long as you can get the FOB in the right place.
Both our cars have that same feature (GM vehicles). The removable "key" part of the fob will get you into the vehicle but it won't start it without the rest of the fob. It seems kind of useless so I asked the salesman. He said it's designed to get you into a locked vehicle when the fob battery is too weak to open the electric locks. The fob usually has enough energy left to start the vehicle if, as you say, it's put in the right location.

In any case, it won't do you much good if you loose the whole fob.

/ Locked Out #8  
That’s a funny story OP. I hate getting old.

/ Locked Out #10  
There are several ways to get around the issues.
A Faraday box in the vehicle for the spare fob, or
simply remove the battery in a spare fob to leave in the vehicle.
Most of these new fobs have a removable key to open the door,
that key can be re-cut as a spare and hidden on or under the vehicle to have a way of unlocking it to get to the spare fob.