Loctite, where to use or avoid

/ Loctite, where to use or avoid #1  

marhar

Gold Member
Tractor
Farm Trac 60
Where have you used loctite on your equipment and you are glad you did? Where have you used it and wished you did not use it? Have you ever used red and realized it was a huge mistake?

I have used blue on the tail wheel of my rotary cutter and on the stabilizer chain on the side that connects to the tractor. I have never used red.

/ Loctite, where to use or avoid #2  
I have used purple, blue, and red thread locker. I have also used many grades of the green retaining compound.

/ Loctite, where to use or avoid #3  
I use LocTite 545 on NPT hydraulic fittings. It works a lot better than teflon pipe dope.

/ Loctite, where to use or avoid #4  
I've never used it on the tractor, but I use the medium strength type a lot at work. I find the red vs blue specs differ per brand. For some brands, red is medium and blue is the one you'll need a heat gun to unscrew afterward. For others, it's vice versa.

/ Loctite, where to use or avoid #6  
I used Blue Loktite on all 56 wheel nuts on my M6040. I've used Blue - here/there - on many of my implements. Never had the need for any other type.

OH - I also used Blue on the nuts that hold the FEL onto the tractor.

/ Loctite, where to use or avoid #7  
The key too is to use it properly. Clean, prime what you have to etc. Vibratite is a great alternative to Locktite for some applications.

/ Loctite, where to use or avoid #8  
I see there are quite a few Chinese sellers on amazon selling 'Loctite'. I'd be very careful buying that stuff. If it don't say Henkel on the bottle or tube, it's fake.

/ Loctite, where to use or avoid #9  
I hate ever seeing the stuff on anything other than a hex-head.

Allen wrenches, phillips, torx, flat head, etc etc......all way too easy to mangle. Pick a different fastner or skip the loctite.

BHCS and FHCS's are the WORST because of there small hex key size for a given bolt

/ Loctite, where to use or avoid #10  
Soooo...... I checked my LockTite bottle. It says Henkel on it. That's supposedly the "good stuff". Better be - pretty expensive as I remember.