Log Hauler

/ Log Hauler #12  
Do you know your log weights? Trailer weight rating?

That appears to be a 6 bolt wheel, so somewhere around 5K to 7K.

I'd really prefer using a dually, tandem, or tandem dually.

It appears as if there is a rear cross member on the trailer, but is all of that removable so it can drive over tanks?

Oh, what is the weight rating on the winch? It could well be worth more than the trailer.

Whatever you build, it will have to be SAFE. So, it won't be throwing a couple of wood 4x4's under the logs and heading down the road. Think like 1/4" 6x6 steel, or I-Beams. They could be heavy to safely drag under your trailer and up onto the beams.

I believe Cheese Blocks have been illegal for quite some time, at least around here.

/ Log Hauler
Do you know your log weights? Trailer weight rating?

That appears to be a 6 bolt wheel, so somewhere around 5K to 7K.

I'd really prefer using a dually, tandem, or tandem dually.

It appears as if there is a rear cross member on the trailer, but is all of that removable so it can drive over tanks?

Oh, what is the weight rating on the winch? It could well be worth more than the trailer.

Whatever you build, it will have to be SAFE. So, it won't be throwing a couple of wood 4x4's under the logs and heading down the road. Think like 1/4" 6x6 steel, or I-Beams. They could be heavy to safely drag under your trailer and up onto the beams.

I believe Cheese Blocks have been illegal for quite some time, at least around here.
Those are all excellent questions. I am going to look at it after work today.

I think the winch might be manual, that is what the lever is on the side I think.

What are cheese blocks?

/ Log Hauler #15  
You could use some rectangular steel tubing for cross members. Make one pivot at the front of the trailer, one on the opposite side pivot to the middle, and one on the back if necessary. Then you only have to disconnect one side and leave them pinned along the frame rails until you get the log raised, then swing them under and across.

But in reality, rectangular steel tubing isn't that heavy. You could weld a guide onto each side of the trailer and just slide them in and out by hand. Maybe weld on a handle for convenience.

/ Log Hauler
that would be perfect, it look sturdy, HWY road or dirt road ?
Highway road. I initially have about 10 15-20" pine logs I need to grab with it. I can stay on 2 lane country roads for about 5 miles to get from there to my property.

/ Log Hauler #17  

What are cheese blocks?
I don't know buy you can get them in HO scale. 🙃

IMG_3664.jpeg

/ Log Hauler
You could use some rectangular steel tubing for cross members. Make one pivot at the front of the trailer, one on the opposite side pivot to the middle, and one on the back if necessary. Then you only have to disconnect one side and leave them pinned along the frame rails until you get the log raised, then swing them under and across.

But in reality, rectangular steel tubing isn't that heavy. You could weld a guide onto each side of the trailer and just slide them in and out by hand. Maybe weld on a handle for convenience.
Yep, heavy rectangular or heavy c channel is what I was thinking. I posted on a sawmill forum and one guy recommended:unsure: pipe rollers as supports so I could just attatch to a tree and drive out to unload.

/ Log Hauler #19  
Research the appropriate weight of the logs and see if the weight rating of the trailer is appropriate. Weight of logs can be approximated by the weight per board foot by species.

/ Log Hauler
Research the appropriate weight of the logs and see if the weight rating of the trailer is appropriate. Weight of logs can be approximated by the weight per board foot by species.
There is a log weight calculator online as well.