Log splitter 4 point wedge

/ Log splitter 4 point wedge #31  
In all the years I've owned woodstoves not one of them ever complained to me about uneven splits going them.

I don't split for "pretty" either, so as long as the splits fit in the stove, I'm a happy camper to be getting done so darn much faster with my 4-way wedge!

SR
No they dont complain. But I dont like making as much kindling as firewood. Its a waste and a PITA to handle and feed the stove. And you get a lot of kindling if you only split with a fixed and non-removable 4-way.

My 4-way is fixed. Works awesome for 12-16" rounds. One cycle of the splitter vs 3.

Only takes a few seconds to drop on and remove. So when Im splitting a pile....I split the stuff that dont work well with the 4-way. Once its gets where I can grab a dozen or so nice 4-way worth rounds, I drop it on, bang them out, then pop it back off and continue single wedge work. The repeat as needed

/ Log splitter 4 point wedge #32  
In all the years I've owned woodstoves not one of them ever complained to me about uneven splits going them.

I don't split for "pretty" either, so as long as the splits fit in the stove, I'm a happy camper to be getting done so darn much faster with my 4-way wedge!

SR
Agree.
I've got a fixed four-way wedge. In fact, I've got two of them. I didn't like where the horizontal wedge was on the stock one, so I called the manufacturer and had them make me one that was offset an inch lower to get some smaller splits. Sure, it would be nice to have one with a hydraulically adjustable wedge height, but my splitter is big and heavy enough as it is (probably in the neighborhood of 750#).

I don;t need everything perfectly quartered. When I get something that is too big for even my loose standards of "evenness", I just deliberately offset the round on the 4-way wedge (so eth evertical might be splitting 1/3 and 2/3, rather than right up the middle), then pull the biggest pieces back for a resplit.

I also do as LD1 mentions and split some with the 4 way, and some with the single wedge. I'll usually try to plan my splitting to avoid the need to constantly switch back and forth.

/ Log splitter 4 point wedge #33  
I don't know where all this "waste" is that's talked about here? Some take the time to split kindling, I just pick up what's under my table grate, put it in a pail and I have my kindling.

I don't see ANY waste by using my 4-way, and by flipping it over it will split a second size, but I keep it on the side to make the smaller splits.

I really like having several sizes of wood, some for starting fires, some for building a fire, and some for holding a fire, seems like a no brainer to me!

BTW, I could put a cylinder under my 4-way, but I don't see any use in that, as I already said, my stove isn't picky!

SR

/ Log splitter 4 point wedge #34  
I don't know where all this "waste" is that's talked about here? Some take the time to split kindling, I just pick up what's under my table grate, put it in a pail and I have my kindling.

I don't see ANY waste by using my 4-way, and by flipping it over it will split a second size, but I keep it on the side to make the smaller splits.

I really like having several sizes of wood, some for starting fires, some for building a fire, and some for holding a fire, seems like a no brainer to me!

BTW, I could put a cylinder under my 4-way, but I don't see any use in that, as I already said, my stove isn't picky!

SR
By waste, if I used my fixed 4-way and nothing else, after I split 10 cord of wood I would be able to fill my loader bucket 3-4 time with kindling splints.

Back when we burned firewood, there wasnt alot of fire "starting". The fire was started and never went out until burning season was over. And now that I dont burn, rather sell, its waste. Because all that stuff could have added to the sellable wood. But no one wants a bunch of that in their wood pile.

/ Log splitter 4 point wedge #35  
By waste, if I used my fixed 4-way and nothing else, after I split 10 cord of wood I would be able to fill my loader bucket 3-4 time with kindling splints.
Sounds like your splitter is a poor design, with mine I couldn't make that much "waste" if I tried!

My 4-way just doesn't do that, obviously it's designed MUCH better.

SR

/ Log splitter 4 point wedge #36  

SR
I agree. And no where did I say I didn't prefer the 4way option. I use my adjustable 4way a LOT. Speeds up the process especially on large logs.

/ Log splitter 4 point wedge #37  
No they dont complain. But I dont like making as much kindling as firewood. Its a waste and a PITA to handle and feed the stove. And you get a lot of kindling if you only split with a fixed and non-removable 4-way.

My 4-way is fixed. Works awesome for 12-16" rounds. One cycle of the splitter vs 3.

Only takes a few seconds to drop on and remove. So when Im splitting a pile....I split the stuff that dont work well with the 4-way. Once its gets where I can grab a dozen or so nice 4-way worth rounds, I drop it on, bang them out, then pop it back off and continue single wedge work. The repeat as needed
Well stated.

/ Log splitter 4 point wedge #38  

SR
You'd never go back. Not quite as valuable as a hydraulic log lift. But really close.

/ Log splitter 4 point wedge #39  
Sounds like your splitter is a poor design, with mine I couldn't make that much "waste" if I tried!

My 4-way just doesn't do that, obviously it's designed MUCH better.

SR
Maybe you could show us some pics of your design. And videos in action.

/ Log splitter 4 point wedge #40  
With me the 4 way is good for the correct rounds. If to small, like already said, you end up with kindling. To big, some of the splits are good, two are to big. If you run the to big splits through the 4 way they are to small. If I had 40 rounds, on average about 5 would be good for the 4 way. Mine just slips on so it just takes a second to put it on but I just don’t mess with it.