Log splitter and a flying log - safety

/ Log splitter and a flying log - safety #1  

Code54

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5100, Kubota BX25D,1957 Farmall Cub Lo-Boy Kubota KX91-3, BCS 853
Today I was splitting wood with a 25-ton log splitter as I have done a 1000x before. I had a piece of oak in, and the ram was moving forward as normal when I heard a pop, then saw a flash of a log flying. When I came to, I was lying on my back in the pile of logs, blood dripping from my face, and unable to see very well. It seems the log hit me. Long story short, after the trip to the ER I ended up with a broken orbital socket, some stitches, and a mild concussion.

My question is, what would cause a log to come off the splitter like a rocket? I realize it is under pressure, but I never saw a 20lb log become a full-blown projectile. I was lucky; I had my safety glasses on (the lens was damaged from the log), but not sure how I would have prevented it or how I could have been better prepared. The machine was in the horizontal position where you pick the log up and set it in the machine when this happened. Thinking that having it in the vertical position may be better because if it spits one out it would at least be at ground level.

/ Log splitter and a flying log - safety #2  
A lot of energy can get get built up during the growth of a tree...especially in a species with tight, dense grain...generally most of the energy gets released when cutting into rounds etc...
...anyone that has heard a lot of trees go over in hard winds etc. has heard some loud pops and cracks...
Glad you were not injured any worse...all should heed the message...!

Last edited:
   / Log splitter and a flying log - safety #3  
I've seen it happen splitting green wood that had a knot in it, when trying to split a fork or when one of the ends was not cut square. I've never seen it happen on straight grain square cut wood.

/ Log splitter and a flying log - safety #4  
While your injuries aren't minor, I am glad it wasn't worse! No answer as to why it happened.
David from jax

/ Log splitter and a flying log - safety #5  
Wow...hope you heal ok, I'm sure you will. I have lots of accidents because that happens when you work, no matter how careful.
Yes I'm thinking vertical would be safer unless you fabricate a protective shield which would be a hassle working with.

/ Log splitter and a flying log - safety #6  
I’ve had rounds lay under my wood canopy until the next year and they’ll dry out and launch when you split them. I’ve never had much problems with green wood launching.

/ Log splitter and a flying log - safety #7  
You likely have some air in your hydraulic system. (It's very rare to launch a log if your hydraulics are free of air.) Air is compressible. It acts almost like a spring.

/ Log splitter and a flying log - safety #8  
I’ve had some knotty or twisted wood where I was concerned that would happen but never had one launch hard enough to do that kind of damage. Hope you’re ok.

/ Log splitter and a flying log - safety #9  
Today I was splitting wood with a 25-ton log splitter as I have done a 1000x before. I had a piece of oak in, and the ram was moving forward as normal when I heard a pop, then saw a flash of a log flying. When I came to, I was lying on my back in the pile of logs, blood dripping from my face, and unable to see very well. It seems the log hit me. Long story short, after the trip to the ER I ended up with a broken orbital socket, some stitches, and a mild concussion.

My question is, what would cause a log to come off the splitter like a rocket? I realize it is under pressure, but I never saw a 20lb log become a full-blown projectile. I was lucky; I had my safety glasses on (the lens was damaged from the log), but not sure how I would have prevented it or how I could have been better prepared. The machine was in the horizontal position where you pick the log up and set it in the machine when this happened. Thinking that having it in the vertical position may be better because if it spits one out it would at least be at ground level.

Wow, glad you're ok.

I have had splits pop and come flying out of the splitter. Some of the wood species I have don't do it and some do. After getting hit a few times (though not in the face!) I now move a step away and turn away when splitting wood that tends to do that.

/ Log splitter and a flying log - safety #10  
Cut rounds square, careful with knotted or forked pieces.. I tend to back up a bit when splitting those. To beside or behind where my valve is..
I never stand directly over the wood being split and offset from it just a bit on all pieces until it's mostly split.

Splitting vertically is taking some danger out of it. But it's way rougher on the back.
I usually only split all the very large rounds vertically into quarters, then swap back to horizontal..