log splitter filter question

/ log splitter filter question #1  

varmint

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B8200, then a Kubota L3130 HST, now a Kubota L3400 HST
A friend loaned me an older gas powered log splitter. We will both be using it from now on. It is marked "30 ton" and "Central Hydraulics" but nothing more is left to read. It does not have any sort of filter that I can see. I am thinking about installing a 25 gpm spin-on type hydraulic filter in either the suction line, or the return line. Any advice? The cylinder leaks from the rod seal, not too badly, but the B & S engine runs great, and it splits like nothing can resist it!

Thanks for any feedback

/ log splitter filter question #2  
The filter is probably inside the fluid tank.

/ log splitter filter question #3  
Central Hydraulics likely = Harbor Freight

Personally, I'd install the filter on the return line to the tank - that way there is no possibility of it causing a restriction on the suction line to the pump.

As Katahdin mentions, there may be a suction strainer inside the tank itself.

/ log splitter filter question
Maybe I could drain the tank, and with an inspection mirror and light see if there's a suction pickup filter, but I doubt it, considering how it is made. Harbor Freight, for sure, but long ago... Not made in China, however.

/ log splitter filter question #5  
If it does have an internal tank filter, it probably is not enough filtration.

You need something like a 10 micron filter on the return line.

/ log splitter filter question #6  
If where the suction line comes out of the tank there appears to be a 1 1/2 or 2" bushing there may be a strainer. Strainers are seldom found on consumer grade splitters. Filters should be installed in the return line.

'

/ log splitter filter question
Got it! I will be looking for a suitable 10 mic. return line filter. I'm guessing a 15-20 gpm oughta do it.
Thanks.

/ log splitter filter question #8  
It is better to use a larger filter than one that is to small especially if you will be using this during cooler or colder weather. I would lean toward 25 - 30 GPM since this is a larger splitter.