Log Splitter Filter Rips

/ Log Splitter Filter Rips #1  

yomax4

Elite Member
Tractor
ISEKI TA 247. Stihl Saws Gravely Zt's Polaris ATV's State Of The Art Welding Equipment
While splitting some 24" Red Elm, Nasty wet dead knarley wood, My filter would blow the gasket or when replaced and tightened, It would rip the filter case and spray fluid all over everything. It's in line to the return. Do I have something plugged on the input side? Just happened today and never before. I was splitting to its limit a lot today. You never get used to hydraulic fluid showers. Any ideas?

/ Log Splitter Filter Rips #2  
I'd be interested in what you find out. I had that happen to me a few years back with my 30ton HF splitter. Never did find out a definite cause. I replaced the original filter and mount with a good one from Northern Tool and haven't had a repeat.

1999 JD 4600 MFWD
460 loader
Curtis cab

/ Log Splitter Filter Rips #3  
What color is the fluid.

If there is water and freezes, you might be trying to pushing ice through the filter.

What is the micron rating?

Does the filter match the pump flow in GPM's?

/ Log Splitter Filter Rips
The filter is 10 micron and came with the mount from Northern tool. I had been splitting for an hour before I had the problem. 1st The filter gasket blew out and it was unusable. I had a spare filter so I put it on and split for another hour before it split right around the crimp. This is a 25 ton or so splitter. I added a log lift a couple years ago and that valve gets the fluid 1st and I joined it to the detent valve and then to the filter and then to the tank. The fluid looks perfect, No visible rust or discolor. I am unsure if the filter matches the pump flow in GPM but I have been running it for a couple years like it is. I will say this, I was running into large wet dead wood that would stall out the splitter over and over and over and or split in slow motion. Thanks for the replies.

/ Log Splitter Filter Rips #5  
Is your tank cap vented?

If not, it might cause some back pressure on the filter.

/ Log Splitter Filter Rips #6  
The internal components of the filter are getting damaged from the pulsations of the relief valve on the return side. I think the filter is rated at a GPM rate and not this "on and off" rate. This is the stalling out that you are saying happens and when it stalls out you return the handle and reverse the direction again and again. After a period of time the filter fails. That is my best guess. Later.

The internal components of the filter are getting damaged from the pulsations of the relief valve on the return side. I think the filter is rated at a GPM rate and not this "on and off" rate. This is the stalling out that you are saying happens and when it stalls out you return the handle and reverse the direction again and again. After a period of time the filter fails. That is my best guess. Later.

That is exactly what I have been doing. The filter system is made by Cross. I cross referenced the filter to a Baldwin that I was told was better built but they had no clue why the Cross filter would bulge and split at the crimp. Once I drained the oil out of the filter it was loose and would rattle inside when I shook it. I have very good venting and I wonder now, How long before this happens again. Oh, My Cross filter that failed was a 10 micron. The new on is a 20 micron I hope that's ok. Both filters are 20 gpm.

I'm a little green on Hydraulics but I can't seem to understand the whole filter failing from relief pulsing. If it is what it is I'll try to limit the pulsing from relief. I sure have done a lot of that. Maybe the new brand filter will be better. Thanks !!

/ Log Splitter Filter Rips #9  
The filter heads usually have a by-pass valve sometimes the plastic plunger breaks causing blockage in the pipe discharging into the tank.

Attachments

• splitter2013 091.jpg
    splitter2013 091.jpg
    781.8 KB · Views: 164
   / Log Splitter Filter Rips #10  
My thoughts on this is that the filter flow is not correct, or.

A clogged filter and a defective bypass might cause ripping.