Log Splitter Filter Rips

/ Log Splitter Filter Rips #11  
Spin-on filters typically fail from pressure spikes caused by flow surges. These surges can come from the cylinder decompression caused by going to system pressure and then the tree splits or from moving the directional valve from split to neutral to split repeatedly. Decompression flow is extremely high flow for a few milliseconds. This flow surge happens so fast that bypass valves typically can't respond. Amount of decompression shock depends on several variables some of which are: Amount of air in the oil, cylinder size, I.e. trapped volume, system pressure, etc.

Also adding these flow surges is the Hi-Lo pump used on most splitters. Above a preset pressure the high flow side quits sending fluid to the system. There is a sequence valve built into these pumps that allows the oil to circulate from the outlet back to the pump inlet. When the pressure drops this flow is directed back into the system.

Last edited:
   / Log Splitter Filter Rips
You couldn't explain it any better than that. It's exactly what the situation was at the time.
Thanks !

/ Log Splitter Filter Rips #13  
You couldn't explain it any better than that. It's exactly what the situation was at the time.
Thanks !
We had the same problem with the small splitter, when the auto retract kicked off the spike was in the 1300psi range. we resolved it by taking the return line from the valve to the filter head (about 3 1/2 feet) and replaced it with a 1 1/2 tank suction line. The extra volume in the hose acts like a shock absorber taking the spike off the filter head. Jim

/ Log Splitter Filter Rips #14  
This is an informative thread. Looks like the filter got clogged due to internal deformation caused by the return high pressure spikes. You may want to cut the filter length wise using your band saw, and perform an autopsy. Would be interesting for us all to get those results!

I have not yet cut the filter but I decided to empty the system and check everything. What I found was the Cross Filter mount has a spring loaded rod that I assume is a pressure relief? It was apart. The thin stainless disc, washer, keeper was off the rod and the clip that held it was also un connected. The disc was blocking the exit to the tank causing the pressure to blow the filters. I'n mot sure how this could un-assemble but it clearly was. I removed the filter system ( 10 micron, 22 gpm ) and hooked it up direct. Works fine. Question is, do I need that spring loaded apparatus in there or can I run it without? Also, My splitter has a Stainless steel screen filter with another very fine Stainless screen filter over it that is 3" in diameter and screws into the tank.. Its hooked to the hose coming out of the tank and goes to the pump. Is that enough filter? Thanks !

/ Log Splitter Filter Rips #16  
I have not yet cut the filter but I decided to empty the system and check everything. What I found was the Cross Filter mount has a spring loaded rod that I assume is a pressure relief? It was apart. The thin stainless disc, washer, keeper was off the rod and the clip that held it was also un connected. The disc was blocking the exit to the tank causing the pressure to blow the filters. I'n mot sure how this could un-assemble but it clearly was. I removed the filter system ( 10 micron, 22 gpm ) and hooked it up direct. Works fine. Question is, do I need that spring loaded apparatus in there or can I run it without? Also, My splitter has a Stainless steel screen filter with another very fine Stainless screen filter over it that is 3" in diameter and screws into the tank.. Its hooked to the hose coming out of the tank and goes to the pump. Is that enough filter? Thanks !

On the Cross return filter, did the disc assembly that is broken allow oil to go from the inlet to the outlet without going through the filter element? I suspect yes and if this is correct the filter is doing little or no good without the bypass valve.

Inlet screen or strainer is for larger chunks. As a rule of thumb 40 micron is the smallest partical that can be seen by by the human eye.

/ Log Splitter Filter Rips #17  
If the bypass valve failed, I am not surprised the filter failed.

I wonder why the bypass would fail? I split 10 cords last year with it and had no issues and split nasty 30" oak. Should I contact Cross and let them know? I'm kinda pissed that I took 3 Hydraulic fluid showers because the relief failed. $50.00 worth of fluid and 3= $10.00 filters. The fluid is perfect. No clogs or dirt. No plugged anything. I just cleaned the whole system and flushed and changed fluid a year ago when I added the lift arm. Also. This Star Splitter ( Northern Tool ) 20 ton 11 gpm never had an external filter. I added it as per reading on here. Should I buy a different brand than Cross? Or is there a repair kit for the one I have? Most of my hard wood splitting is done for the year but I would rather not have a 4th shower. At least not til next year. That being said, How many hydraulic showers does it take before you you get used to it?>

/ Log Splitter Filter Rips #19  
It in not even logical to have a hyd system with out a filter.

The parts depend on the cleanliness of the fluid.

No filter normally means short life.

Maybe you lucked out.

How about something like this?

3/4" NPT 20 GPM FA1200-10 RETURN FILTER

Would you say that this brand may be better than the Cross one that failed? Also does a filter slow the system down or take away split power? Only asking because i don't know. Thanks.