Log Splitter Question...

/ Log Splitter Question... #41  
A filter is a filter its physical orientation probably has no effect on how it operates other than it needs to be between control valve and tank... Use what ever plumbing that is appropriate to locate it in safe area... I would bet a couple of nipples and a 90° elbow would do...

As for changing hydraulic fluid, my splitter is over 30 years old, don't know if previous owners ever change fluids so I have no idea of how many hours on it.... But it uses Dexron II (ATF) and if a car can go 100,000 miles without auto trans fluid change, I seriously doubt the need to change fluid every 100 hours...

Dale
He doesn't have a filter. So not sure changing the oil would do any good anyway.

/ Log Splitter Question... #42  
He doesn't have a filter. So not sure changing the oil would do any good anyway.
It was my interpretation he was contemplating adding a filter when his comment was return to tank was so low adding filter would cause it to be a problem when moving splitter.. Could be the manufacturer also recommends frequent changes of oil because of lack of filter...

Dale

/ Log Splitter Question... #43  
It was my interpretation he was contemplating adding a filter when his comment was return to tank was so low adding filter would cause it to be a problem when moving splitter.. Could be the manufacturer also recommends frequent changes of oil because of lack of filter...

Dale
If I was going to change something it would be the filter first, then oil second, if it appeared contaminated. My tank has a sight tube with thermometer so I can see my oil. It's just as clean today as it was the first day.

/ Log Splitter Question... #44  
If the return line filter is below the level in the tank, you can't change the filter without also draining the tank.
Solution may be to use tractor FEL to raise tongue of splitter to transition return bung to position higher than when tank is in normal position (rotated 90°), but may also require to block vent... Was think this would be solution if I had to remove strainer or replace suction hose on my splitter... Really don't want to deal with 7 gallons of hydraulic fluid...

Dale

/ Log Splitter Question... #45  
Hmm, I might try this. The vent is at the very top near the side where the strainer and return line are.

/ Log Splitter Question... #46  
What about if I put a 90 degree elbow at the tank, pointing up, a 6" pipe, another 90 degree elbow pointing away from the tank and then connect the filter head to it, would that work too?

/ Log Splitter Question... #47  
Short nipple and a elbow, or a "street 90° elbow" and just enough vertical riser (6 inch?) to get filter assembly above tank lever.... Don't make this so complicated.... ITs just plumbing and location...

Dale

/ Log Splitter Question...
I should have all the parts for this power unit and have it together by the end of next week...Is there any reason not to use the low end brands of hydraulic oil from TSC, Walmart etc?...

/ Log Splitter Question... #50  
My understanding is that commercial hydraulic fluid is all about the same. I used TSC in my splitter.