Logsplitter Wedge, This way or That, Whats the Difference?

/ Logsplitter Wedge, This way or That, Whats the Difference? #61  
Hawthorne big enough to burn? Yikes!

/ Logsplitter Wedge, This way or That, Whats the Difference? #62  
You don't add dangerous things to your work or hobbies unless they are going to significantly improve or speed up the process. Having a dentent to advance your splitter cylinder on it's own, or wwhatever electronic contraption you are thinking about, won't ever make a big difference and it is a stupid thing to do.

If you want to speed up the process, get a bigger hydraulic pump, on a bigger engine and a bigger cylinder to add power and speed to your splitter. What you are talking about is just a silly, dangerous way to make splitting with a splitter you feel is inadequate a tad bit faster for a limited percentage of log rounds.

Last edited:
   / Logsplitter Wedge, This way or That, Whats the Difference?
I always appreciate input. I may not like it, but I appreciate it.

This is kind of straying from my original totally naive question about wedge/pusher plate orientation.

But anyway. I am kind of dumb founded as to the general response about the terrible safety concerns regarding my project. It's almost as if some sort of consensus reality has dictated that because there has never been such a thing, it must be really dangerous, and I just don't see it.

I am just always looking for ways to do things better and as far as your common wood splitter goes, this area, as far as I am concerned is in desperate need for some NEW ideas. Standing there holding a lever while watching the wood split, just drives me nuts! O.K. Call me Crazy! They probably said the same thing of the first guy that proposed the cruise control!

/ Logsplitter Wedge, This way or That, Whats the Difference? #65  
I always appreciate input. I may not like it, but I appreciate it.

Standing there holding a lever while watching the wood split, just drives me nuts!

Maybe using a maul would be better suited for you :D :D

Sorry - couldn't help my self. Absolutely no insult intended.

/ Logsplitter Wedge, This way or That, Whats the Difference? #66  
It's almost as if some sort of consensus reality has dictated that because there has never been such a thing, it must be really dangerous, and I just don't see it.

O.K. Call me Crazy! They probably said the same thing of the first guy that proposed the cruise control!

You sound like YOU think you are inventing something???

They have been building splitters with auto split/return for a LONG time, so you aren't even remotely close to being first... Even electric over hydraulics has been going on for a long time....

As for the auto split valve on MY splitter... I could have had it, I just choose not to do so, as it's properly designed to begin with, and already goes faster than I want to go. In fact I run the engine at less than half speed to slow it down a little.

SR

/ Logsplitter Wedge, This way or That, Whats the Difference? #67  
I'll argue that the auto cycle is actually safer.

Kind of like driving on the autobahn and focusing on the task on hand vs driving 55 while texting and eating a Big Mac.

Without the autocycle people try to grab the next round or reposition the log with one hand. The AC allows you to use two hands when needed.

You don't need to take your hand off the lever if it doesn't feel safe. I find myself keeping a hand on the autocycle lever until the log is engaged so I can stop the cycle if needed. Once it starts to split I then walk away and get the next piece ready.

If you watch ebay vids you'll often see people cranking on the lever of a non auto cycle valve trying to split a log...while standing right next to beam. If the log pops suddenly they'd be in some pain. With the AC you can take a step back and let the splitter return once it hits max pressure AND reposition the log.

/ Logsplitter Wedge, This way or That, Whats the Difference? #68  
Without the autocycle people try to grab the next round or reposition the log with one hand. The AC allows you to use two hands when needed.

Those are people who are a lot harder working than me. :laughing:

/ Logsplitter Wedge, This way or That, Whats the Difference? #69  
If you watch ebay vids you'll often see people cranking on the lever of a non auto cycle valve trying to split a log...while standing right next to beam. If the log pops suddenly they'd be in some pain. With the AC you can take a step back and let the splitter return once it hits max pressure AND reposition the log.
Really? Not to do with AC directly other than its natural affinity for the pushing wood thru a wedge design ... but - - What happens when a push stalls is comical frustrating and embarrassing:eek: with the pusher ram design. You have a log stuck on a wedge that took 20 T to get there. You either devise an accessory piece to allow you to pull it stably with the hydraulics ... Or you go get the sledge, individual wedges, hatchet, chain saw, etc, and hope no one is looking .
,,, OR, if you have a moving wedge design, you just back it up and withdraw it from the log. ;)
larry

/ Logsplitter Wedge, This way or That, Whats the Difference?
Just for clarification. I can jog the unit into position with the joy stick, which can also be used to stop the unit at any time as well as the E-Stops. When the log is securely clamped, you press the cycle button. I would not advocate just laying the log there, pressing a button and walking away. Maybe I will get even lazier and start doing that though.

That begs the original question. Is there any difference between the two orientations with regard to the aspect of pieces flying out? Is one better than the other? This splitter has a small pusher plate with some serrations. Most other style splitters I have used just had a big smooth blank plate at the end, which is how the occassional irregular log slid out from.

Plus, if there is a particularly tough or irregular piece, you can always use the splitter the same as any other.

As far as stalling, that came to mind. I have not split enough wood with that loader aux circuit yet to know what it does when it stalls. Since the loader is quite quiet and running just above idle, there will be no need for ear protection and I would probably just remain aware of any weird sounds. One could EASILY put a timing circuit in there that would stop the thing after so many seconds anyway. Maybe not a bad idea if the limit switches ever screw up.