Long 955 Disk Harrow-Old Rusty purchase

/ Long 955 Disk Harrow-Old Rusty purchase #1  

WoodChuckDad

Elite Member
Tractor
Kioti RX7320 Power Shuttle Cab, Komatsu PC130-6
I have been in need of a harrow. I have wasted an extraordinary
amount of seed over the last year, because I was trying to make do with what I had and having the seed wash away with the first rain. Lots of grass and clover and buckwheat and millet have found their way down into the woods and seem to be doing well. Most of the disk harrows I have found previously were light weight, or completely beaten. I found this on on craigslist and it is old and rusty. But it has good bones and I think I can do a functional restoration next year to make it much better. For right now, It is working fine and I used it today to put in some dwarf rape seed. It ain't pretty.

IMG_7284.JPG
IMG_7286.JPG
IMG_7283.JPG

/ Long 955 Disk Harrow-Old Rusty purchase #2  
Pretty is as pretty does.

Agri Supply, with stores in Virginia, is the "go to" sources for generic Disc Harrow parts.
Good web site. Good mail order service.

Old Disc Harrows can be a beast to dissemble due to dust and rust.

Last edited:
   / Long 955 Disk Harrow-Old Rusty purchase #3  
Rusty machinery is highly under rated. Good find!

/ Long 955 Disk Harrow-Old Rusty purchase
Pretty is as pretty does.

Agri Supply, with stores in Virginia, is the "go to" sources for generic Disc Harrow parts.

Old Disc Harrows can be a beast to dissemble due to dust and rust.

I will definitely be hitting up their bearing section, Once I am certain of the size. One of the gangs was a little stubborn but has loosened up a little once I started using it. I'm sure I will have a few surprises when I start working on it but that is to be expected. I have no idea of the age. It isn't gonna get a rocking chair but it will get a spot under the pole shed and out of the dirt. I was able to put some seed in the ground yesterday. This coming weekend I will be runnning it hard, all day long. I have a field of buckwheat to turn in. IMG_7291.JPG

/ Long 955 Disk Harrow-Old Rusty purchase #5  
In Florida I have found Buckwheat to have almost 100% germination. We use it as weed prevention within a small organic Blueberry field.

We roll it in mostly, except right around Blueberry bush bases. Cannot really tell a difference between the Buckwheat seed we cast and the seed we roll in after casting; it all germinates.

In Florida I have found Buckwheat to have almost 100% germination. We use it as weed prevention within a small organic Blueberry field.

We roll it in mostly, except right around Blueberry bush bases. Cannot really tell a difference between the Buckwheat seed we cast and the seed we roll in after casting; it all germinates.

some of the buckwheat we disced in had seed heads but most was just flowers. It will give good structure to the soil as it decays. If I put buckwheat there next year, I will do it earlier I the season and I'm sure I will have more seed from it. I don't know if the seed emerges after winter or not.

The rape I put in last week is already starting to emerge. We put in another 100 lbs as well as 100 lbs of fescue. The disc works great, although I broke a 3 inch piece off one of the sedated discs. An interesting thing is that while I was inspecting the other discs Found that one had broken completely in half and been welded back together. It is still working fine. It was an impressive weld and a nice testament to resourcefulness.