Look behind you.

/ Look behind you.
No I agree with you. Sometimes I wish I could yell at them. The only one I ever give the family treatment to is the girl that helps me. She just flips me off.

I have a place I prefer everybody to park. It's out of the way. I make sure it's off limits to equipment when people are there. This woman will come in park up in the outside tack area. Squeeze into the trailer parking. Or park right by the lumber stacks when she knows I'm working on building something. She does what I consider dumb s t with her horse. Brings a German Shepard who loves to get in my mule and poke holes in the seat with its nails. Once she brought a pit bull on a 25' retractable lead. That thing went after my trail dog until I hit it in the head with a shovel. But I can't seem to make myself kick her out.

/ Look behind you. #22  
I see all sides of the issue, but I still think bystanders have the responsibility to not be stupid or suicidal. Even the most careful and safest operator could run over someone who suddenly jumped under the tractor. Heck, my toddler has more sense than that woman did. At 19 months she's fascinated by my tractor, and I let her sit in the seat in the barn (all hydraulics lowered and valves locked of course). But when I am operating she understands and knows to stand by mommy with her hand held, and because she's a toddler we both look out for her. A grown woman shouldn't need hand holding parents to prevent her from jumping under a tractor.

/ Look behind you. #23  
Lots of children have more common sense than some adults.

/ Look behind you. #24  
My thought is that she was driven by what I call the "Motherhood syndrome". Her protective motherhood genes only saw that little puppy (baby) in harms way and she was concentrating on that. She couldn't help herself.

My 2c after being married for 49 years to the same woman.

Mark

/ Look behind you. #25  
Glad to hear it did not turn out badly. This is why the auto industry is moving towards installing back-up cameras in all their vehicles. You can't keep people from doing stupid things. I hope you have a good liability insurance policy for your farm since you have borders.

/ Look behind you. #26  
As my Mother always said "accidents don't happen on purpose". You almost have to assume now-a-days that someone will be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Looking back if the tractor is going back is a must.

Glad nothing went bad.

MoKelly

/ Look behind you.
. I hope you have a good liability insurance policy for your farm since you have borders.[/QUOTE]

Yes last year I switched from State Farm to Farm Bureau. I have a million per incident. I set up an LLC and tried to separate the boarding from the house. State Farm wanted nothing to do with a boarding operation.

/ Look behind you. #28  
No I agree with you. Sometimes I wish I could yell at them. The only one I ever give the family treatment to is the girl that helps me. She just flips me off.

I have a place I prefer everybody to park. It's out of the way. I make sure it's off limits to equipment when people are there. This woman will come in park up in the outside tack area. Squeeze into the trailer parking. Or park right by the lumber stacks when she knows I'm working on building something. She does what I consider dumb s t with her horse. Brings a German Shepard who loves to get in my mule and poke holes in the seat with its nails. Once she brought a pit bull on a 25' retractable lead. That thing went after my trail dog until I hit it in the head with a shovel. But I can't seem to make myself kick her out.

Can you afford to continue allowing her to come onto your property? From the brief description you give of her habits, it seems positive that someday your insurance policy will be triggered by her. She's "stuck on stupid".

/ Look behind you. #29  
[snip]I only wanted people to be aware when backing. Also to look down. People talk about cab tractors and visibility. I think if I had been in a cab I would never had seen her.

Really appreciate you sharing this experience. My newest tractor has a cab, and even though it has good 360 degree visibility, I still have a slight sense of sensory deprivation compared to open station. I only have 43 hours on it, so part of that is just getting used to it. I recently installed a backup camera and monitor for about $50, and it does a nice job. I likely would have seen your boarder with it without turning around, but then again, I probably wouldn't have heard her calling for her dog!

I'm actually thinking of adding a camera to my open-station B2150 and putting a clear baggy over the monitor when necessary.

/ Look behind you.
I have never used a cab tractor. Would you have been able to see without the camera. Can they be removed when leaving outside. I think they would be much better than mirrors. I have decided I am going to get a backup alarm.

Sent from my iPhone using TractorByNet