Looking for feedback

/ Looking for feedback #1  

Phillip w

Platinum Member
Tractor
allis Chalmers 185 and massey ferguson 1531
I have been around the"old two lunger" the A, the B, the 60, 730, 4020 etc. My question is how reliable and rugged are the modern John Deere tractors. It a guy want to buy a four wheel drive with a loader, how well do they perform in the field? How well does John Deere and the dealers stand behind their tractor? I thinking something 25-40 hp. Can any not tell what types of problems or issues they are experiencing? Can anyone suggest a particular model number?

/ Looking for feedback #2  
There are quite a few questions in your post; and you're an experienced tractor owner. All I can write about is my own experiences.

The only tractor I've ever owned/operated/maintained is my 4105. I'd never owned one before (and hadn't discovered TBN to ask questions of this august group :)), so I questioned my neighbours about who had the best reputation as a dealership & my tractor needs. For my area (State, actually. But Tassie is small) JD came out as the most recommended, so I took a friend (old YANMAR tractor owner) to the JD dealership and sat down with the salesman (a farmer himself).

The bloke listened to me, asked pertinent questions about what I needed the tractor to perform, eliminated whole 'classes'/series and then recommended the 4105 as it was actually less expensive (bare bones) than others that he could have sold me. He sold me a tractor that I needed at the hp that I needed.

My local JD dealership has stood by their product, and me, ever since. :eek:ath: Mind you, in Tassie (an island State) reputation is KING and word travels fast if a business is less than 'supportive'.

I have had zero problems with my JD tractor and it has done everything that I've asked of it within its capabilities. Parts and support are readily available from my dealership.

Now, the 4105 (41hp) model is no longer produced so I can't recommend a current model.

/ Looking for feedback
Hey thanks for the come back. Greatly appreciated. Most of My John Deere equipment is old and out of warranty. The newest piece of John Deere equipment I have is a pull type hay condition dating back to 1982. I have some equipment including a tractor dating back to the 1950's. Some of the old John Deere equipment was pretty rugged. I can honest say I have never had trouble getting John Deere parts. I may have to order them and pay next day freight charges, but I have always been able to get them. Another thing it seem like there seems to be more salvage and after market parts availabe for John Deere equipment. Am in a situation I got to "pull the plug" on a situation. I don't want to "jump out of the frying pan and into the fire" so to speak. Thanks.

/ Looking for feedback #4  
All I can add is my JD 4300 has been great..

I'd be hard pressed to update to another one with a computer involved or worse yet, the new diesels with the EPA requirements.. But these new diesels are problems no matter what brand.