Rotary Cutter looking for guesstimates for how long it would take to clear 2.5 acres of blackberry

/ looking for guesstimates for how long it would take to clear 2.5 acres of blackberry #51  
I have done this on a good bit higher than 6' wall wit my GC2400 Massey. The bush hog pulls it down and you just keep taking a bite then another. The trellis would make it harder bit I still think I could do it. with the trellis it would take longer. Ed

(yea, I've read the thread... 60" spacing, thick blackberry canes, gotcha)

I get some tougher carhart, and go frontwards and get it done. You'll be surprised how quick it will go.
If you are not in a hurry, wait a few more weeks for some of the growth to brown up.

I've cleared about 8 acres of blackberry the same way. I still have some left and tackle a bit when I feel like it and anytime I am near one of the patches with my bushhog, I take an swipe off the edge and another swipe another day, it all adds up very quickly.
Sure. ... But going by the reported legendary nature of this type of blackberry vine its not going to be possible to save the trellis w/o hand work because the vines will be interleaved from one row into the next. You need a clean cut without dragged material. Forward wouldnt do because the trellis would get crushed. You could do it coming down from the top but the vines are reported as a wall 6 feet or more high. A rear mounted hog doesnt raise near that high. Theres no maneuvering room to strategically change angle of attack.

The narrow rows, trellis, and the substantial vines makes it a very special job. ... It would be nice to have some pics of the overgrowth.

/ looking for guesstimates for how long it would take to clear 2.5 acres of blackberry #52  
Sure. ... But going by the reported legendary nature of this type of blackberry vine its not going to be possible to save the trellis w/o hand work because the vines will be interleaved from one row into the next. You need a clean cut without dragged material. Forward wouldnt do because the trellis would get crushed. You could do it coming down from the top but the vines are reported as a wall 6 feet or more high. A rear mounted hog doesnt raise near that high. Theres no maneuvering room to strategically change angle of attack. The narrow rows, trellis, and the substantial vines makes it a very special job. ... It would be nice to have some pics of the overgrowth.

X2....

/ looking for guesstimates for how long it would take to clear 2.5 acres of blackberry #53  
... It would be nice to have some pics of the overgrowth.

What he said.

Maybe the best idea is whoever said goats. :goat:

/ looking for guesstimates for how long it would take to clear 2.5 acres of blackberry #54  
I was interested in goats as brush hogs, too. However, from what I've read, goats VS this crazy strain of blackberries is better for regrowth control VS initial clearing. Here's and article on it...
http://www.invasive.org/gist/moredocs/rubarm01.pdf

/ looking for guesstimates for how long it would take to clear 2.5 acres of blackberry #55  
Here's a picture of an area I cleared about 12 years ago with my PT425 and 48" front mounted brush cutter. The trees are up to 2" diameter trunks mostly oaks and cherries.
mrPT425BrushCleaing.jpg
If it can clear oaks and cherries, I'm fairly certain it can clear woody brush like these blackberries. That's why I'd recommend a front mounted cutter on a skidsteer.

This video is of 6' weeds. They go down like mowing a lawn. Granted, they aren't woody stems.
http://www.mossroad.com/PT425Videos/PT425DeepWeeds1.WMV

These are 7-8 footers....
http://www.mossroad.com/PT425Videos/PT425DeepWeeds2.WMV

Here's a timelapse of a small field being cleared....
http://www.mossroad.com/PT425Videos/PT425FieldClearing.WMV

It would be worth your time to check out a local rental yard to see if they have something available that's small enough to fit down your vineyard rows. It sure would save you some serious cash. If you cleared rows for under a $1000 in rental, you'd have enough cash to purchase a good brand weed eater with a brush blade to manually saw down the remaining stems around the grape trellis posts.

/ looking for guesstimates for how long it would take to clear 2.5 acres of blackberry #56  
Duplicate post removed...

/ looking for guesstimates for how long it would take to clear 2.5 acres of blackberry #57  
$3000-$4200? Are you in a hurry? Can you get to most of it with a sprayer? What about a couple hundred dollars worth of glyphosate on a hot summer day? With the leaves gone and the stalks brittle it should be an easy job to cut it down and you won't be fighting shoots or have to dig it up. Even if you have to work your way from the outside in in over several weeks it's cheap and effective.

/ looking for guesstimates for how long it would take to clear 2.5 acres of blackberry #58  
I may be underestimating this particular kind of blackberry, but around here I use my grapple for any blackberry/briars/tough brush, even next to fence I'm trying to save. I push til I have a grapple full then back out and pile it up. Then light it up and keep piling on the burning pile. A narrow tractor and a 48" grapple and I'd probably have already been done.

/ looking for guesstimates for how long it would take to clear 2.5 acres of blackberry #59  
Here, at about 1:09 to 2:09, is a good view of blackberries and their removal.

Bruce

/ looking for guesstimates for how long it would take to clear 2.5 acres of blackberry #60  
Go back and glean through the posts... he's got an old vineyard with 60" wide space between the grape trellises that he wants to keep intact. So its partly the thick vegetation and partly the grape trellises and associated posts, etc...

My machine is too big to fit into a 60" wide space. This job sounds like a crew is needed to cut the vines, and a little machine to make them into bits.