Looking for some watering ideas

/ Looking for some watering ideas #1  

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B6100E Kubota L 2501 Kubota T1460
I have been hand watering about 300 trees on my property using my generator, a small 120V 10 amp pump and a 275 gallon IBC tote. I pull these around using my trailer and Ranger.

Im gonna burn up my generator, it takes a few hours to accomplish this and Im looking for an alternative.

I thought that I may have been able to use the small pump from my RV and hook that to the battery of my truck but Ive found that there isnt nearly enough water pressure with a 50 ft hose nevermind once I were to add another 100footer. Its only rated for 3GPM and the large garden hose diam almost kills any sort of pressure.

I could go buy a cheap H.F gen that will supply the needed 10 amps to run the same pump Ive been using but Ive only got to water these trees a few more months until the rainy season is upon us again and then Im assuming I will be pretty much done, they will be large enough to support themselves.

Id rather use the money some other place in other words, any ideas?

Attachments

• 019.jpg
    019.jpg
    8.5 MB · Views: 106
   / Looking for some watering ideas #2  
You could use this inexpensive 12v pump, hook it up to your ATV, and pump 8-10 gal a minute. I've used one for 4 years to pump diesel, hydraulic fluid without any problems. Couple of my friends have bought them and like them as well.

Since you want to pump water instead of oil, I would think it would work great for you.

(Link is for example only. I didn't buy mine from this guy)

/ Looking for some watering ideas
Thanks, Ive read that these types of pumps are continuous flow though, Ive read that turning them on and off via a nozzle will burn them up in short order.

Seems like I need to learn a little bit about inverters, I know nothing about them but I think this might be the way to go along with the 120V 10 amp pump I have been using.

Thanks

/ Looking for some watering ideas #5  
Why can you not use gravity feed from the 2" hose straight from the IBC? You might have to drive to each tree and use a short hose... Just trying to figure out why this will not work.

For what it's worth, I fill a 50 gallon tank from my IBC and put it in the FEL so that I can raise it up high and get more pressure just from gravity. Then I drive to each tree and water. Have to fill it a couple times but 2" line from the IBC fills the 50 gallons pretty quick.

/ Looking for some watering ideas #6  
I use gravity for watering my trees. I have used several barrels and tanks, on a trailer, 3 point hitch/carryall, and FEL. All using a garden hose and gravity.

/ Looking for some watering ideas #7  
You need water not power . Get the small 4stroke Honda pump, put a splitter ( hose Y ) in the discharge . Run one side to your watering hose and the other return to the tote to keep a constant flow.

Why can you not use gravity feed from the 2" hose straight from the IBC? You might have to drive to each tree and use a short hose... Just trying to figure out why this will not work.

For what it's worth, I fill a 50 gallon tank from my IBC and put it in the FEL so that I can raise it up high and get more pressure just from gravity. Then I drive to each tree and water. Have to fill it a couple times but 2" line from the IBC fills the 50 gallons pretty quick.
I have a little over 300 small trees, It takes an approx count of 6 1000 to dump 1 gallon of water on a single tree under the pressurized system I use now, I do this for every tree, I need pressure to get this amount of water in a realistic time frame.

I spend already a little over 9 hrs every weekend watering the trees on my property ( the others get a 5 gallon bucket filled by gravity ) which is about 400 in total, I am trying to lessen the burden if possible not increase.

/ Looking for some watering ideas #9  
Are the trees close enough that you could hook them up to a poly pipe with drip irrigation and pump into that a slow rate ?

I use gravity for watering my trees. I have used several barrels and tanks, on a trailer, 3 point hitch/carryall, and FEL. All using a garden hose and gravity.
I have no way of elevating a 275 gallon plastic tote to get any decent pressure. To use a smaller container with my FEL elevated would mean numerous trips to the well to replenish. More time is something I dont want to give