Looking For Spike Harrow, 3 Point.

/ Looking For Spike Harrow, 3 Point. #1  

wirlybird

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 3038 E, John Deere 3032E, John Deere 756, John Deere X585, John Deere 332
Hi all,

Looking for an economical spike harrow like in the picture. The one in the picture may be as good a deal as I can get!
Max 5 foot wide.
It will be for lighter duty use.
I have a chain drag harrow but I'd like one for the three point so I can lift and move.

Thanks for any opinions or even suggestions on a good alternative.
Even plans for making one will work!!

sth60.jpg

/ Looking For Spike Harrow, 3 Point. #2  
I hope this can give you some ideas:

10 years ago I posted about a cheap HF welder, and showed a mechanism I welded up to lift a pull-behind Deere spike harrow.
The lift mechanism is pinned on to my quick hitch, to use it. Running the lift cable over a pulley at the top of the mast and forward down to the tractor's towbar, provides a compound lift. The back of the harrow rises a lot more than the quick hitch.

I have since moved up to better welders, but that project was a success working with what I had at the time.

Basically a neighbor offered me an incomplete exercise machine after her tenant moved out and left it. So I salvaged some parts to make this harrow lift. It works great.

And here's a thread I wrote earlier as I puzzled over how to build the lift. It was incomplete at that point.

Essentially, I built a drawbar as wide as the harrow including chains to pull this drawbar by its outer corners, because I knew I would occasionally snag it on orchard trees and this would just stall the tractor without damaging the harrow.

Last edited:
   / Looking For Spike Harrow, 3 Point. #3  
I have a chain drag harrow but I'd like one for the three point so I can lift and move.
It will be for lighter duty use.
Max 5 foot wide.

T-B-N ARCHIVE:

Last edited:
   / Looking For Spike Harrow, 3 Point. #4  
I can’t imagine such a thing as that spike harrow doing a very good job of “organic” weed control. A spring tooth type, like this 6 foot 2-section 3-point model, would probably do a much better job:

I bought this old Pittsburgh Forge one used for $ 125 from a neighbor about 35 years ago:
2C9733D9-B84F-4AE7-881A-FA7FB411027A.jpeg

99FD17E9-69B0-4F38-83D7-801719760E9B.jpeg

/ Looking For Spike Harrow, 3 Point. #5  
didn't know anyone still had one of those.
I grew up using those on my parents farm. I haven't seen one in 30 years.
Worked great. I'm sorry I sent mine for scrap.

/ Looking For Spike Harrow, 3 Point.
Thanks for the ideas so far.
Here is what I basically want to do or use it for.
My driveway is an example. I want the spike harrow to just rough up or agitate the gravel so dirt and things will filter down. Also to help loosen up weeds and grasses.
It doesn't need to dig deep but rather just loosen up the top layers to freshen it up.
Leveling is not really a primary goal.
To get the driveway like it is in the pictures I used my 4 foot tiller and set it to just scuff the surface but not really dig in. Ran it at slow speed and it does a nice job.
I figure running the spike harrow around occasionally will help keep it looking good. I let it get away from me last year!
I'd use it also for things like going over garden areas after tilling etc.

20230319_114143.jpg

20230319_114140.jpg

/ Looking For Spike Harrow, 3 Point. #8  
My driveway is an example. I want the spike harrow to just rough up or agitate the gravel so dirt and things will filter down. Also to help loosen up weeds and grasses.
It doesn't need to dig deep but rather just loosen up the top layers to freshen it up.
Leveling is not really a primary goal.

LAND PLANE (LPGS)

/ Looking For Spike Harrow, 3 Point. #9  
I can’t imagine such a thing as that spike harrow doing a very good job of “organic” weed control. A spring tooth type, like this 6 foot 2-section 3-point model, would probably do a much better job:

I bought this old Pittsburgh Forge one used for $ 125 from a neighbor about 35 years ago:
View attachment 789224
View attachment 789225
Yeah, but that was back when 125 was worth 10,000 bucks.

/ Looking For Spike Harrow, 3 Point. #10  
Here’s my LP in action if that helps.