Looking to pull the trigger on a 4820H but...

/ Looking to pull the trigger on a 4820H but... #1  

fishbones

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kioti LK3054
The tractor will only come with R4 tires and I have 40 acres with a lot of soft, loam ground. Mostly dragging out large trees and doing foot plots. I have been reading on grooving tires and was thinking about doing some deep, wide grooves on the R4 to make them like an R14 or Kubotas new R4. Any thoughts appreciated.

/ Looking to pull the trigger on a 4820H but... #2  
Personally, I would never want to remove enough rubber on my tires to add "deep wide grooves". I'd try them as they are (intact) and if they don't suit you, switch them out for something else.

I find that R4s get plenty of traction as long as you have 4WD. If it's so muddy that you're going to bury it, any tire will sink.

/ Looking to pull the trigger on a 4820H but... #3  
I thought R4s were supposed to be about the toughest tire available when it comes to resisting punctures from working in the woods?

/ Looking to pull the trigger on a 4820H but... #4  
That's a good solid tractor. Good choice.

In my opinion, those R4 tires make me think the tractor will get stuck just by looking at is the wrong way. No way I would limit my tractor capabilities by going with those.

At the very minimum, those R14, but R1 or better yet, R1 Radials is the way to go. I had my tractor sunk in mud all the way up to the bottom of the transmission and those R1 just kept on going.

Here is the diference between R1 (right tire) and R1 Radial (left tire):

100716124_277439513401236_7525635760406396928_n.jpg
101578448_277439463401241_7726890763891507200_n.jpg

/ Looking to pull the trigger on a 4820H but... #5  
Personally, I would never want to remove enough rubber on my tires to add "deep wide grooves". I'd try them as they are (intact) and if they don't suit you, switch them out for something else.

I find that R4s get plenty of traction as long as you have 4WD. If it's so muddy that you're going to bury it, any tire will sink.
My experience with R4's on my own tractor are similar to CH's. If it's sloppy muddy out, you're begging for trouble no matter what tire you run. If it's just soft dirt, I've never had any issues with traction. Most of the time I don't need 4wd either, unless it's steep as well. I would certainly not try to cut grooves into the tires. I think the topic of tire "siping" for snow/ice use is getting you confused with cutting actual grooves into the tread. Cutting siping cuts into the tread only benefits ice and snow hard pack traction and does not aid in mud or dirt traction in any way.

/ Looking to pull the trigger on a 4820H but... #6  
I thought R4s were supposed to be about the toughest tire available when it comes to resisting punctures from working in the woods?
They are, yes. I've been in many fields where garbage, old fence and random car frames were left laying out in the tall grass. Only to drive over them and hear the racket of the mower blades "finding" them. Never had a puncture (knock on wood).

/ Looking to pull the trigger on a 4820H but...
The dealer cannot get it with R1s? Odd
No, its his only Branson / TYM with that tire size unfortunately. I am now leaning towards a 494 now as I have a closer dealer that has them, I just wanted the all steel and heavier rear end of the Branson.

/ Looking to pull the trigger on a 4820H but... #9  
That is strange. You should be able to get R4 or R1 (or even R3) on any TYM in that series.

I got the R4 on my 574 because I mostly have forest and over 50% is FEL related work. If it is that muddy, I don't want to tear up my property and fortunately, I'm not making a living from my property. I just postpone the work.

I would personally only get R1 if I could get the radials like @ptsg mentioned. Different applications call for different tires.

/ Looking to pull the trigger on a 4820H but...
I wish I could find out the specs on their AG tires, cant seem to find anything other than size.
Pretty sure they are Titan but dont know ply and sidewall info.