LP tank destruction

/ LP tank destruction #13  
Before we moved to our new house a few years back, I had to clean up our current place. This included hauling 17 old propane tanks away (these were all on the property when we got there). The landfill refused to take them as they were. The valves either had to be removed, or they have to have holes punched it them. Most of the tanks were small 5 or 7 gallon tanks, but 7 of them were 100 pounders. All of them had a small amount of gas in them. I took them all out to my local shooting area (not a range per se, just a small canyon where shooters go), lined them up, and put at least two 30-30 rounds through each one. None of them went boom, and only two of them fell over due to gas venting from the first hole. The only 'exciting' thing that happened was when I shot one of the 100 pounders near the bottom. It did create a pretty cool spray as the liquid came out and turned to vapour. But other that it was mostly a non-issue of popping holes in them.
Good luck.
NV

/ LP tank destruction #14  
Greasemonkey ... I have a lot of experience working with butane. ...
In this context, propane is not an explosive, it's fuel just like gasoline. If I had his problem, I would just use a 1/16 drill above the liquid level and light the gas as it escapes. But that's me

Tell that to these boys:
Eufaula propane explosion at Ford Sandblasting Plant forces neighborhood evacuations, closes highway

I do agree with you on flaring the gas as the safest way to deal with it. That cloud of gas after it escapes is what is dangerous, not the liquid in the container.

/ LP tank destruction #15  
Can you tell how much propane you have?
By weight?
By temperature (I think).

I doubt a propane tank would fly and explode like an acetylene or oxygen tank.

/ LP tank destruction #16  
to the op. if you have real concerns. contact the fire dept and ask them about hazardous waste disposal. your local solid waste dept may also have a hazardous waste disposal facility.

lastly, a welding supply or propane sales place may take it for you.

if you have ANY concerns.. go one of these routes.

if everyone thinks it is unsafe. the bomb squad can det cord it on their safe range.

/ LP tank destruction #17  
Why bother, take it to Walmart and exchange it for a new type cylinder and let them handle it. You get a new type full propane tank for your BBQ. They have a propane tank exchange program where they take the old type and let you take a new one no questions asked. That's how I exchanged all my old tanks for new ones.

/ LP tank destruction #18  
I don't see a valve on the tank so I'm wondering where it is or ....how did they get the propane in the tank and what's keeping it there. How was one supposed to get the gas or liquid out?
Seems like you could make better use of it then to just let it escape.
I want to see headlines....

/ LP tank destruction #19  
Ah-set it up in a safe spot and put a hole in it with your favorite firearm. Follow with a flare and then wait.:thumbsup:

If you want a picture event set it up on a good fire and observe from a distance.:D

If you want to drill a hole in it use a hand drill below the fluid level. And then stand back. Best to use a flare gun on it as the stuff will pool in low areas.:)

/ LP tank destruction #20  
If you want a picture event set it up on a good fire and observe from a distance.
That's a great idea........just need a definition on "safe spot".
If anyone else sees this event and they don't know it's "just for laughs", they are going to make a call, and these days there is no telling who will show up. When they show up there's going to be lots of questions.
I have no first hand knowledge of this, but I've heard that propane is a pretty loud and spectacular explosion.