LS backhoe questions. please post pics of subframe mount.

/ LS backhoe questions. please post pics of subframe mount. #21  
image-1782684276.jpg

/ LS backhoe questions. please post pics of subframe mount. #23  
image-3775458603.jpg

Notice the notches. This is what had to be cut out to fit the nee mount on my older 3039

/ LS backhoe questions. please post pics of subframe mount.
Excellent! Thanks Jesse! That pretty much matches a drawing that I found or someone sent me when I first started trying to figure out what to do since sub frames weren't available:

R3039_backhoe_subframe.png

/ LS backhoe questions. please post pics of subframe mount. #25  
That pretty much matches a drawing that I found or someone sent me when I first started trying
to figure out what to do since sub frames weren't available:

View attachment 437779

I like how substantial that frame looks. I hope that a fixed toplink is also used....you can see the dotted-line
toplink hole on the hoe in this drawing.

Some dealers who sell factory subframes like this neglect to provide a rigid toplink, and some even tell
the buyer that it is not needed or not advised. !! Kioti comes to mind.

I've also considered a hybird setup ... a ladder frame like what Jesse posted but shorter (would not have the backhoe bolted to it) and it would always stays attached to tractor and the 4 point cradle part (the orange thing in my drawing) would mount to the ladder frame that runs just inside of the FEL frame mounts.

I would hold the ladder frame in the back by the 6 bolts around the PTO shaft and would also extend it on each side out to the bottom of the ROPs mount which would take the weight of the 4 point cradle.

Should be uber strong with 2x2 FEL mounts + 2x6 backhoe mounts running from front to back of the tractor!

/ LS backhoe questions. please post pics of subframe mount. #27  
Since my original post to this thread I purchased a used Woods BH750-3 with a sub frame.
Here's a link to my install. Mine is a 5 point hook up. 4 for the sub frame plus a top link.
Maybe you can get some ideas from mine or feel free to ask questions.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...328190-woods-bh-750-3-backhoe.html?highlight=

That's awesome! I don't know how I missed that ... I didn't know you did it but did notice the yellow backhoe in your avitar pic.

My Subframe build

Deconstruction has begun!

fel_mount.jpg

To implement my design, some of the FEL components have to come off and be modified for the backhoe subframe mount I'm building. So while doing that, I decided to address an issue I was not 100% satisfied with. As some of you will remember, when I bought my used tractor I quickly discovered that I had a cracked frame and the radiator fan would hit on the shroud. LS replaced my frame and added the reinforcing kit for the FEL. I don't know at what point the fix for this problem was finalized so I'm not going to point any fingers but I believe the current fix is to add the reinforcing kit, tack weld it so everything lines up right, take the FEL mount back off and weld all the way around both sides of the reinforcing plate. Well, mine was just bolted on! No weld at all as you can see here:

reinforce_plate.jpg

I could see where the plate must of had a bit of wiggle room just bolted on as I see some scuffing where the plate made contact with the frame:

frame.jpg

I've put on about 80hrs since the frame was fixed and I've been religious about torquing the FEL mount bolts every 10hrs or so and I can't stress enough how important this is ... they do get loose and if you don't catch it in time bad things will happen.

I tack welded the reinforcing plate with a deep burn of 6011. Now that I have the FEL mount off, I plan to prep the metal and do a 6011 root weld all the way around and back that up with some 7018 which should be a lot better than how it was before. I'm also going to chase the threads in the block with a tap and replace the bolts as I'm not sure that was done when the frame was repaired ... the threads are a bit rounded in spots (I know ... I'm probably being **** but I don't want to deal with this problem again). By the way, the FEL mount is a BIG chunk of metal:

fel_mount2.jpg

Once I get the FEL mounts squared away then it is on to the backhoe mount!

Today's progress. FEL reinforce plate welded

Today's progress. Reinforce plates welded and ready for paint!

welded_fel_mount.jpg

One thing I noticed when I took off both FEL mounts ... they don't fit against frame in a neutral position. The end of FEL mount toward the front of the tractor (the very end of the reinforcing plate) is sprung out maybe 1/4". Scratching my head wondering how to get this beast in my shop press to bend it some so the very end through bolt doesn't have to pull the mount to the frame.

*Edit: Wow, I didn't have much hope at first my press was up to the task but I was able to wrestle it (with help) into my shop press and push on the 's' shaped part and nudge the edge so it's within a 1/16" of where it needs to be ... just trying to get it to where the torque on the bolt is holding the mount TO the frame instead of wasting a majority of the torque BENDING the mount against the frame. I don't want any wiggle!

Last edited: