Lubricate MFWD Steering King Pins (5M)

/ Lubricate MFWD Steering King Pins (5M) #1  

MorningViewStables

Silver Member
Tractor
NA
Hi folks,

Newbie here to TractorByNet, but I have to give a shout out to AKFish and LARRYINPARKS as I followed a lot of their posts prior to purchase of my new tractor. I have a 2013 5075M and need some clarification about maintenance. The maintenance schedule references at 50 hrs to Lubricate MFWD Steering King Pins however, I cannot find the procedure in the maintenance manual. I asked the dealer service manager and he is confused also as the King Pin Zerk appear to be hidden under plates bolted above and below the axle. Anyone know the procedure or is it intended to be a dealer service requirement?

/ Lubricate MFWD Steering King Pins (5M) #2  
Hi folks,

Newbie here to TractorByNet, but I have to give a shout out to AKFish and LARRYINPARKS as I followed a lot of their posts prior to purchase of my new tractor. I have a 2013 5075M and need some clarification about maintenance. The maintenance schedule references at 50 hrs to Lubricate MFWD Steering King Pins however, I cannot find the procedure in the maintenance manual. I asked the dealer service manager and he is confused also as the King Pin Zerk appear to be hidden under plates bolted above and below the axle. Anyone know the procedure or is it intended to be a dealer service requirement?

Hmm... I thought I'd looked the maintenance guide over pretty good. Didn't remember anything about greasing the king-pins? So, I looked again... nothing about king-pins for MFWD tractors. You are supposed to grease the front wheel spindles and front axle pivot on 2WD tractors.

And, grease the front axle trunnion - front and rear grease zerks - on the MFWD tractors.

The king-pins on my 5075M don't have grease zerks or a cap on top of the zerks. There's a white nylon bushing that's visible on the top of the axle housing above the king-pin - but, that's it.

Maybe they changed the front axle on the 2013's. Mine's a 2011 model.

AKfish

/ Lubricate MFWD Steering King Pins (5M) #3  
Hmm... I thought I'd looked the maintenance guide over pretty good. Didn't remember anything about greasing the king-pins? So, I looked again... nothing about king-pins for MFWD tractors. You are supposed to grease the front wheel spindles and front axle pivot on 2WD tractors.

And, grease the front axle trunnion - front and rear grease zerks - on the MFWD tractors.

The king-pins on my 5075M don't have grease zerks or a cap on top of the zerks. There's a white nylon bushing that's visible on the top of the axle housing above the king-pin - but, that's it.

Maybe they changed the front axle on the 2013's. Mine's a 2011 model.

AKfish

Where exactly is the kingpin located, the only grease points I found on the front of my tractor is on the front and back of the pivot point (5115M MFWD)

/ Lubricate MFWD Steering King Pins (5M) #4  
Where exactly is the kingpin located, the only grease points I found on the front of my tractor is on the front and back of the pivot point (5115M MFWD)

The King Pins are at the outer end of the fixed axle housing. They are what the outer wheel assembly pivots on when you turn the steering wheel.

/ Lubricate MFWD Steering King Pins (5M) #5  
The King Pins are at the outer end of the fixed axle housing. They are what the outer wheel assembly pivots on when you turn the steering wheel.

According to my manual those are if you have an adjustable front axle.

LV14411.gif

/ Lubricate MFWD Steering King Pins (5M) #6  
According to my manual those are if you have an adjustable front axle.

LV14411.gif

You're picturing a 2wd tractor. Pretty sure OP has a MFWD tractor.

/ Lubricate MFWD Steering King Pins (5M) #7  
You're picturing a 2wd tractor. Pretty sure OP has a MFWD tractor.

I have a MFWD too, this is what is in my manual. The only grease points on mine are here.
LV14409.gif

And here
LV14410.gif

If you have an adjustable front axle you will have one here
LV14411.gif

And if you have a 2 wheel drive you will have one here
LV14413.gif

/ Lubricate MFWD Steering King Pins (5M) #8  
I have a MFWD too, this is what is in my manual. The only grease points on mine are here.
LV14409.gif

And here
LV14410.gif

That's the location of the grease zerks for the front axle trunnion. As mentioned by ovrszd, the kingpins would be just above and below the U-joints at the end of the axle next to the front wheels.

AKfish

/ Lubricate MFWD Steering King Pins (5M) #9  
If you find out how to do it, let me know. :D
LOL, I did the same thing.

/ Lubricate MFWD Steering King Pins (5M)
AKfish, You are correct that it is not in the manual as a proceedure, but look at the maint SCHEDULE in the manual. It is listed as a 50hr line item. That is where I got confused. With that said, do you remove the 4 bolts and plate over the top of the kingpins to get to a zerk?