Lubricate MFWD Steering King Pins (5M)

/ Lubricate MFWD Steering King Pins (5M) #21  
This is not the first time I've saw JD recommend greasing an item and then not making it easy to do. Has anyone removed the king pin covers to see what's under there?? I would not be surprised if there's a zerk.....

I think Bigfoot62 did, he said there was nothing under there. But I do know what you mean about not making the zerks easy to get to, I frequently forget two zerks on my loader cause they are hidden behind a joint.

/ Lubricate MFWD Steering King Pins (5M) #22  
This is not the first time I've saw JD recommend greasing an item and then not making it easy to do. Has anyone removed the king pin covers to see what's under there?? I would not be surprised if there's a zerk.....

There does not appear to be a cover. It looks like you would be removing the king pins. Parts 12 & 16

Attachments

• 5075Mmfwdaxle.gif
    5075Mmfwdaxle.gif
    45 KB · Views: 831
   / Lubricate MFWD Steering King Pins (5M) #23  
I think Bigfoot62 did, he said there was nothing under there. But I do know what you mean about not making the zerks easy to get to, I frequently forget two zerks on my loader cause they are hidden behind a joint.

No, I didn't pull it.
I just said there wasn't any grease fittings there.

/ Lubricate MFWD Steering King Pins (5M) #25  
No, I didn't pull it.
I just said there wasn't any grease fittings there.

so what's the verdict on the king pin grease fittings? has anyone found any fittings or did JD decide to manufacture these tractors without zerks after printing the book? my tractor is a 2011 5075m and the book that came with the tractor says under the 50 hours maintenance to lube the king pins.

/ Lubricate MFWD Steering King Pins (5M)
so what's the verdict on the king pin grease fittings? has anyone found any fittings or did JD decide to manufacture these tractors without zerks after printing the book? my tractor is a 2011 5075m and the book that came with the tractor says under the 50 hours maintenance to lube the king pins.

We are waiting on you to pull your covers and tell us if there is a ZERK under there I guess. :) My dealer said there isn't any, so I have not checked (yet).

/ Lubricate MFWD Steering King Pins (5M) #27  
We are waiting on you to pull your covers and tell us if there is a ZERK under there I guess. :) My dealer said there isn't any, so I have not checked (yet).

LOL, I thought about it today but I didn't have the time. I called my dealer and he told me the same thing, but all he did was walk onto the lot and look at a tractor so I'm not sure that he really knows. it doesn't look to me like there's enough room under that cover for a grease zerk, but I guess it's possible. maybe over the weekend I'll pull a cover off and see what there is to see. I just don't like not being able to grease the king pins or the universal joints. my 6110 doesn't have fittings for the king pins (but does for the universals), so I'm guessing the 5000 series doesn't either. it just kinda wondered me when the maintenance book tells you do it and I couldn't find the fittings.

/ Lubricate MFWD Steering King Pins (5M) #28  
Sorry for a delay responding but here is the JD Tech bulletin on this very subject. the picture it refers to shows similar to AKFish's pictures above.

"Solution Number: 84010

Solution Summary: 5X25|5E|5E Limited|5M - DANA 725 MFWD Axle Grease Zerk Locations

Publication Date: Jun 12 2009

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

**Paper copies of solutions may not be the most current solutions**

Complaint or Symptom :
Maintenance Guide shows that the MFWD King Pins Pivots require lubrication every week/50 hours.

Problem or Situation :
Customer cannot locate the grease zerk locations shown in the manual for the MFWD King Pin Pivots.

Solution :
The DANA 725 MFWD Standard Axle does not have any grease zerks for the King Pins. King Pin pivots use tapered roller bearings which are sealed for life. On the DANA 725 the only grease zerks are located on the Trunnion as shown in the picture below.

DANA 725 Standard Axle Grease Zerk Locations.jpg

LEGEND

A - Trunnion Grease Zerk Locations

Additional Information :
Please print this DTAC solution for your customer's as a supplement to their maintenance guides.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5225, 5325, 5425, 5525, 5625, 5101E, 5045E, 5055E, 5065E, 5105M, 5075E, 5083E, 5093E, 5095MH, 5065M, 5075M, 5085M, 5095M

AXLE, TRAC PT, 021"

/ Lubricate MFWD Steering King Pins (5M) #29  
here is the pic from the tech bulletin:
dana.jpg

/ Lubricate MFWD Steering King Pins (5M) #30  
thanks for that info. hopefully those sealed bearings are built to last.