Lubricity of diesel

/ Lubricity of diesel #51  
Having just gone through a court case on poor fuel I can tell you that they can tell you exactly where that fuel came from and exactly what was in that fuel. They can tell you exactly what tank it came out of too. We had to do this and just won a big suit against the local supplier. John Deere helped us win this suit.

All of the major tractor mfg. and diesel truck mfg. pull a fuel sample the minute a truck comes in with fuel related issues. That sample is then sent off immediately if there is any question that the fuel is the issue. Even one bad batch of fuel can cause serious damage to a diesel. The injectors used today to get the low emissions and fuel mileage are extremely sensitive.

/ Lubricity of diesel #52  
Guess your sayin I should keep my old 96 12 valve cummin's Doc. Don't really have any choice anyway! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Egon

/ Lubricity of diesel #53  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Having just gone through a court case on poor fuel I can tell you that they can tell you exactly where that fuel came from and exactly what was in that fuel. They can tell you exactly what tank it came out of too. We had to do this and just won a big suit against the local supplier. John Deere helped us win this suit. )</font>

Yeah, you can trace it all the way back to the million gallon tank at the fuel distribution terminal and point at it and say, "That's the tank it came from." Maybe you'd be right, maybe not.

Knowing what I know about the manufacture and transport of diesel fuel, someone is going to have to show me how you can chemically identify, say, Phillips fuel in a farmer's tank after it has been mixed with every other brand under the sun at the distribution terminal. If you say "they" can tell me exactly where a fuel sample came from, I'd like to test that. I'll give you a sample and then they can tell me the brand and where it came from. How do I go about it?

/ Lubricity of diesel #54  
I was wondering if it could be traced back to the dead dinosaur it came from, and whether it was a brontosaur, or a T-Rex....... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Lubricity of diesel #55  
10 microliters of suspect contaminated diesel fuel injected into a Hewlett-Packard gas chromatograph onto a polymeric hydrophobic reverse phase column matrix with a flame ionization detector will give an exact identificaiton of the diesel fuel that will stand up in court the same as a fingerprint or a DNA sample in less than twenty minutes.

/ Lubricity of diesel #56  
WOW, that was way above my head......... I agree with you though.... I think.........

They can definitly tell whats in the fuel and where it came from. I dont know what the tests are called but I'm sure its something like that.... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

They can track down the origin of Mad Cow Diease to the actuall cow it came from, just by testing the burger. Dont trick yourself into believing that anything is untracable. It all comes down to how much time and money you want to spend to figure it out.

/ Lubricity of diesel #57  
A mass spectrophotometer hooked up to the outflow from the gas chromatograph (GC-MS) will even tell you what specific oil well anywhere in the world the original crude that the #2 diesel middle distillate was originally distilled from is located. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Lubricity of diesel #58  
I agree.. Like I said before.. they can tell what deposit of yellow-cake a refined uranium sample came from.. I.E. where the mine was located and all.. etc.

I'd think nowadays it fairly possible to trace most things that have a unique chemical signature.

Soundguy

/ Lubricity of diesel #59  
Incredible what can be done these days. But it's contaminated at every transfer. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Clean sample, I have no doubt, you scientists could trace it back. Amazing too what we still don't understand. Keeps you busy.

/ Lubricity of diesel #60  
Thanks Sky Pup. I was calling the lawyer to get the expert we used phone # but you did an admirable job answering the question. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif