LX3310 4 cylinder engine

/ LX3310 4 cylinder engine #1  

JimMorrissey

Veteran Member
Tractor
'05/'06 L39 TLB
Hi. First post in a few years. I'm considering a LX3310 and wondering if anyone can comment on the "smoothness" of the 4 cylinder vs a 3 cylinder. I haven't heard one run yet, but my hope is that 4 is an overall smoother engine. The last Yanmar 4 cylinder I ran in an off-road tracked dump truck was silky smooth and quiet. None of that clanking noise. I just loved the sound of it, and it was something I never experienced with any of my Kubotas.

/ LX3310 4 cylinder engine #2  
I recall this topic coming up in the past here, but don't recall the subjective conclusion.
I doubt there is any real difference in smoothness between a 3 cylinder and 4 cylinder.
My ZD mowers are 3 cylinder and the tractor is 4. They both run and sound smooth to me. I did gravitate to the 4 cylinder L4060 because it shares the same engine with the whole L60 series except the L3560.
I will add that if the LX3310 was around when I was shopping I would have bought it. Seems like the perfect size for my needs. The B3350 was the size I was looking for, but even back in 2016 it was a problem machine, so I avoided it.

/ LX3310 4 cylinder engine #3  
I believe both the 3 cylinder and the 4 cylinder have internal balance shafts, I know my 4 cylinder turbo charged engines in my M9's do.

Far as noise is concerned, that all has to do with how the combustion chamber is configured and the base compression ratio. Some are inherently more 'noisy' than others.

At one time in the past, Kubota had a 2 cylinder diesel in a tractor and it was a shaker.

/ LX3310 4 cylinder engine #4  
Got a lx3310 at work last year because we needed a narrow cab machine. My biggest complaint is that the idle speed is twice as high as any of the other kubotas ive run and the transmission is probably the loudest. Under open throttle the engine is comparable to any of the others in sound but the hst whine under load is like having a mosquito permanently stuck in your ear. If I was personally going to buy a tractor in that power range and had enough space i'd opt for any grand L 40 or 60 series instead.

/ LX3310 4 cylinder engine
the hst whine under load is like having a mosquito permanently stuck in your ear. If I was personally going to buy a tractor in that power range and had enough space i'd opt for any grand L 40 or 60 series instead.

Interesting. Ill take another look at the L series. I had a L38 in ‘06 and loved it. Was your 3310 a cab version HSDC?

It may not matter much to others but the sound is important to me.

/ LX3310 4 cylinder engine #7  
Interesting. Ill take another look at the L series. I had a L38 in ‘06 and loved it. Was your 3310 a cab version HSDC?

We all have our preferences and requirements. I assume you plan to go to a Kubota dealer and sit on the lx3310, so while you're there, run an L4060 around the lot. IMHO the Grand L's are the Cadillacs of tractors!

/ LX3310 4 cylinder engine #8  
I believe both the 3 cylinder and the 4 cylinder have internal balance shafts
Once again, FAKE NEWS. The engine used in the LX3310 does not have balancer shafts like the M9000's engine does.

/ LX3310 4 cylinder engine #9  

Yup, its an hsdc. Over the years I've put around 6k hours split between a b2920, lx3310, l3200, l3400, l3540, and 2 l6060's and I'd say even with the cab that the hst whine is the worst in the LX and nearly nonexistent in the l3540 and l6060. The grand L is superior in every way to all the smaller models in my opinion regardless of the HP.

/ LX3310 4 cylinder engine
Excellent replies guys. Thanks.

I was at a closed dealer this afternoon and fell in love with this 50th Anniversary L6060. Ridiculously nice cab and paint. Gray loader and wheels with this deep metallic orange paint. The robustness of the package is crazy. So stout and nicely finished inside. Everything at your fingertips.

However this is a far cry from a lx33… Ha

Attachments

• B22A5305-F63B-4367-9BA2-A1A22DDA6C24.jpeg
    B22A5305-F63B-4367-9BA2-A1A22DDA6C24.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 144
Last edited: