M vs. L series in 45-60 HP range

/ M vs. L series in 45-60 HP range #31  
Having had an L4630GST before I got the M and used it for the same operations, I can unequivocally state, that an M is far away a more "able" tractor for all actions compared to a comparable L series.
Pretty much because your use of the phrase 'comparable L series' is a poor choice. The two series are not comparable. They have both existed for decades because of their substantial differences.

/ M vs. L series in 45-60 HP range #32  
No a
I think it would have been a better comparison if they did the most effective pull with each. At a cruise speed doing work (brush hogging hills or baling) I think there would be a marked difference in speed and efficiency. I’ve got an MX HST right now and I love it, I’ve got the M4 Shutle and love it. There are things geared tractors do better and things HST tractors do better. If the focus is with what you’re doing on the working end of the tractor I think it’s gear for the win, if your focus is the Swiss Army knife side then it’s HST.

No argument that there are things a gear can do better. Any tillage type work or plowing. But that said, a HST is still quite capable in that department. Just not as efficient at transmitting power to the ground. I plow and disc 2 acres of corn plot with a HST MX. 3-14 plows and a Deere 210 (~11') transport disc. Gotta keep it in low because trying medium it just lacks power to be able to go any faster than Low range speed. So Im limited to ~3-3.5MPH. I would certainly rather be plowing and discing at 5-6 MPH, but it just cannot sustain that in Medium range.

But I also do a fair amount of loader work, rear blade work, and bushhogging. And the HST more than makes up for itself in those departments.

But as that video is concerned....the MOST tractive effort is the exact moment right before the wheels break loose and spin. The spun the wheels on the gear but failed to on the HST. So they never got a true representation of what the HST can actually pull. But in theory....the HST "should" actually be able to pull a little harder....since HST equipped tractors are usualy a tad heavier.

MY MX with loaded tires and wheel weights will only spin the tires in Low range. Which is nice at times doing loader work. Because I can keep it in medium range, and not have to worry about tire slip and tearing up someones yard....yet it sitll has ample power to be able to do what I need.

/ M vs. L series in 45-60 HP range #33  
Pretty much because your use of the phrase 'comparable L series' is a poor choice. The two series are not comparable. They have both existed for decades because of their substantial differences.
I probably should have said "similar sized HP wise" instead.

/ M vs. L series in 45-60 HP range #34  
I probably should have said "similar sized HP wise" instead.
That can even be off a fair bit between an economy L & a Grand L. A L3901 has 39hp. A L3560 has 35-36hp & my L4060 has 40hp. Every one of the Grand Ls will out work the economy Ls in most measures but PTO HP even with less HP. They weigh 50% more with gives way more traction & pulling power not to mention lift capacity on either end. They are generally wider which means more stable. Both are good machines, but it's like comparing a Grand L to a M almost.

/ M vs. L series in 45-60 HP range #35  
In a geared machine, you pick a gear that won't stall or bog the machine & that's what you have unless you stop & shift. On a HST you press the go pedal until the RPMs drop a bit.
Why do you have to stop to shift?? My tractor has a synchronized trans, I don't have to stop to shift.

Just push the clutch in and shift...on the go, and doing field work, I don't have to shift very often, so it's no big deal.

SR

/ M vs. L series in 45-60 HP range #36  
I've been looking for a used Kubota to upgrade from my old Ferguson to35 that is accumulating too many problems.
<snip>

My actual question then is this:

Am I correct in avoiding the L series or should I open my mind a little to considering them? I see a lot more L series out there so I have more options to choose from, but I also wonder if that's because everyone has just traded theirs in for a M series.

Thanks for any help!
May have missed it but I did not see mention of either how much the OP wants to spend or a list of what he plans to do with it, much less how old is "used".

My M4700 meets his criteria - M series with about 50HP, 4Wd. Cost me about $11.5K back in 2013. A quick look on Tractorhouse shows one for sale now for $15.5K with only 1,069 hours in Wylie Tx.

I'd highly recommend one.

But as others have mentioned - in this day and age you might be extremely limited in availability.

Last edited:
   / M vs. L series in 45-60 HP range #37  
I own both an L6060HSTC and an MX5800HST. I looked at an M but decided the slightly smaller MX would suit my needs. So far, it has.

FWIW, here are a few thoughts:

- Both tractors have plenty of power compared to my old L3430HSTC

- The front wheels are larger on the MX and do provide a bit more traction. I use the MX mostly for earthwork with a BH92 hoe. For some reason, the hoe is more stable on the MX than on the L6060 even though it is slightly heavier.

- I use a 72" flail with the L6060 and so far, it has never bogged down while mowing heavy vegetation.

- I mow 7 acres & plow snow with the L6060 and recently traded up from an L6060HST to the L6060HSTC cabbed model. I'm getting older and needed the creature comforts. The heat is great when plowing at 10 degrees and the A/C is nice when mowing when it's 95. You say you don't want a cab but consider the future.
I've been looking for a used Kubota to upgrade from my old Ferguson to35 that is accumulating too many problems.

I'm wanting something a little more powerful to run my flail mower without bogging down, possibility of haying in the future, and strong 3pt to lift those occasional loads that my Bobcat 743 skidsteer (1300lb roc) can't do.

4wd is a must since I'm dealing with hilly terrain. Wide base/low center of gravity is also ideal for the same reason. I do not want a FEL since I have the skidsteer which is a much better tool for material moving, though if I find the right tractor that has one and still a decent price, I'd be okay with it, or possibly sell it to help with the purchase price. Actively do NOT want a cab.

I've been avoiding looking at L series tractors almost entirely because I hate the tiny front wheels on them. I've seen those get stuck so easily compared to the M series larger front wheels for 4wd.

I also get the sense that L series is altogether a lighter duty machine, but also smaller overall for the power they have. I'm starting to wonder if the smaller size would be a good thing for the hills that I'll be working on, and also working around and under trees a lot.

My actual question then is this:

Am I correct in avoiding the L series or should I open my mind a little to considering them? I see a lot more L series out there so I have more options to choose from, but I also wonder if that's because everyone has just traded theirs in for a M series.

Thanks for any help!

I own both a 4WD L6060HSTC and an MX5800HST. I looked at an M but decided the slightly smaller MX would suit my needs. So far, it has.

- The front wheels are larger on the MX and do provide a bit more traction. I use the MX mostly for earthwork with a BH92 hoe. For some reason, the hoe is more stable on the MX than on the L6060 even though the L is slightly heavier.

- I use a 72" flail with the L6060 and so far, it has never bogged down while mowing heavy vegetation.

- I mow 7 acres & plow snow with the L6060 and recently traded up from an L6060HST to the L6060HSTC cabbed model. I'm getting older and needed the creature comforts. The heat is great when plowing at 10 degrees and the A/C is nice while mowing when it's 95. You say you don't want a cab but consider the future.

- I mow steep slopes with the L6060 equipped with R4 tires and see no RPM or traction loss when mowing uphill using my 84" finish mower.

I think the answer to your question really depends on how you plan to use the tractor. Don't overlook the MX series as was previously suggested.

/ M vs. L series in 45-60 HP range #38  
I own both an L6060HSTC and an MX5800HST. I looked at an M but decided the slightly smaller MX would suit my needs. So far, it has.

- The front wheels are larger on the MX and do provide a bit more traction. I use the MX mostly for earthwork with a BH92 hoe. For some reason, the hoe is more stable on the MX than on the L6060 even though it is slightly heavier.

- I mow 7 acres & plow snow with the L6060 and recently traded up from an L6060HST to the L6060HSTC cabbed model. I'm getting older and needed the creature comforts. The heat is great when plowing at 10 degrees and the A/C is nice when mowing when it's 95. You say you don't want a cab but consider the future.

I own both a 4WD L6060HSTC and an MX5800HST. I looked at an M but decided the slightly smaller MX would suit my needs. So far, it has.

- The front wheels are larger on the MX and do provide a bit more traction. I use the MX mostly for earthwork with a BH92 hoe. For some reason, the hoe is more stable on the MX than on the L6060 even though the L is slightly heavier.

- I mow 7 acres & plow snow with the L6060 and recently traded up from an L6060HST to the L6060HSTC cabbed model. I'm getting older and needed the creature comforts. The heat is great when plowing at 10 degrees and the A/C is nice while mowing when it's 95. You say you don't want a cab but consider the future.

- I mow steep slopes with the L6060 equipped with R4 tires and see no RPM or traction loss when mowing uphill using my 84" finish mower.

I think the answer to your question really depends on how you plan to use the tractor. Don't overlook the MX series as was previously suggested.
The bigger tires is only a R4 thing. And its only the front tires.

Both have the same size AG's....with 9.5-16 fronts and either 13.6-28 or 14.9-26 rears
Both have 17.5L24 rears but the MX has 12-16.5 fronts and the L has 10-16.5 fronts

/ M vs. L series in 45-60 HP range #39  
There's mention of running a flail. Flails tend to eat power. I'm running a 7' flail on my 55hp Kioti and it's about all that that tractor can handle: flail manufacturer says 60hp min, so it's not like it's a surprise; it's mitigated by having to run slower- I have rough ground and a lot of trees.