M5400DT Front Axle Seals

/ M5400DT Front Axle Seals #1  

Liquidsilver

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota M5400
I'm using the heavier gear oil in the front axle of my tractor and it's started leaking out so fast I'm finally ready to do something about it.

I read here on the forum about a gentleman replacing his own seals, and it looks like others here do it themselves. Even so, I think it looks like a job too big for my toolkit and knowhow. It looks like the 3 sets of seals cost about $300 for the parts, and I'm thinking the dealer would need to have another $400 - $600 to do the labor...

so before I call the Kubota dealer... I'm thinking of having a local tractor repairman do it.

Any advice? Thank you.

/ M5400DT Front Axle Seals #2  
Leaking axle seals are less common with M series models. The usual recommendation is to clean everything off and pinpoint the seam that's leaking. You may not need to replace all the seals. Best to take it apart before shopping.

There's some related TBN reading here. Your larger M5400 hub has a top bearing but is otherwise very similar construction. The OTT site also has a lot of posts about axle leaks. If you decide to get into it yourself there are people on both sites who can help you succeed ! Take care, Dick B

Attachments

• M5400 bevel case.pdf
    181 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
   / M5400DT Front Axle Seals
Thank you so much. You seem to be the man to ask! :thumbsup:

/ M5400DT Front Axle Seals #4  
It would help if you could clean the area, run it enough for the leak to show up and post a couple pictures - even better with the wheel off.