Loader M59 hood protector

/ M59 hood protector #1  

Smokeydog

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B26, M59, M5030DT
I have only seen pictures of this accessory. Heavy metal hood/nose protector that hinges to the grill guard. Unique to the M59? Useful accessory? Worth buying ($225)or fabricating? Reviews please?

Had a stump root come over the grill guard into my hood a while back. Able to bend, weld and repair the hood. Thinking this accessory would have prevented the damage.

Have the grill guard on my welding bench now. Getting ready to throw the scrap pile at it to improve tree resistance. Quarry screen, tube for bumper, 1/2” plate, and D-ring for tie down are on the menu. Design to still allow use of hood protector?

/ M59 hood protector #2  
I have only seen pictures of this accessory. Heavy metal hood/nose protector that hinges to the grill guard. Unique to the M59? Useful accessory? Worth buying ($225)or fabricating? Reviews please?

Had a stump root come over the grill guard into my hood a while back. Able to bend, weld and repair the hood. Thinking this accessory would have prevented the damage.

Have the grill guard on my welding bench now. Getting ready to throw the scrap pile at it to improve tree resistance. Quarry screen, tube for bumper, 1/2 plate, and D-ring for tie down are on the menu. Design to still allow use of hood protector?

Ours is one of the first M59s, back when the new model M59 was introduced new tractors tend to come as a package deal with all sorts of accessories - the hood protector was one of those introductory extras on ours - along with lights, 3pt kit, extra bucket...things like that.
But if $225 is the price, I'd say it is well worth it. It isn't just the hood protection, but the thing folds out to open the hood and when folded out it becomes a work-holding tool tray. Here's some photos. And it's hinged with special big bolts and rubber washers so that it is easy to fold out or up and yet doesn't rattle. All in all it's a well thought out piece and real rugged.
Just remember to fold it back up over the hood before lowering the FEL. No need to ask how I know this ...... but it does prove how strong it is.
rScotty

Attachments

• Hood Protector.JPG
    Hood Protector.JPG
    999.4 KB · Views: 462
  • Hood Protector tool tray.JPG
    Hood Protector tool tray.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 296
   / M59 hood protector
Exactly the feedback I was looking for. Thank you! Don’t know if I can still order one but will try.

/ M59 hood protector
Went to the Kubota dealer this morning to order the M2862 Hood Protector Kit from Wholegoods. After two guys and 30 minutes of trying they couldn’t order it. They took my name and number to give to the parts manager Monday morning.

/ M59 hood protector
Kubota parts manager called this morning to confirm order of M59 hood protector kit, $226 plus $15 shipping. Go ahead. Later called to say no longer made or available. Any Kubota dealers got one sitting on the shelf???

Doesn’t look too hard to make, just figuring out the geometry and prototyping takes time.

Spent several hours working on the grill guard armor this morning. I wrestle some big trees so needs to be tree tough. Also push over some big stuff to bushhog. Heat gets to me more the older I get. Looking forward to cooler weather.

/ M59 hood protector #7  
Kubota parts manager called this morning to confirm order of M59 hood protector kit, $226 plus $15 shipping. Go ahead. Later called to say no longer made or available. Any Kubota dealers got one sitting on the shelf???

Doesn’t look too hard to make, just figuring out the geometry and prototyping takes time.

Spent several hours working on the grill guard armor this morning. I wrestle some big trees so needs to be tree tough. Also push over some big stuff to bushhog. Heat gets to me more the older I get. Looking forward to cooler weather.

I wonder if the same part is available for the M62.

/ M59 hood protector
Didn’t see it on the whole goods price list for the M62.

/ M59 hood protector #9  
Didn稚 see it on the whole goods price list for the M62.

Well, I was thinking that even if the kit wasn't available there might still be parts for the hood protector in the parts manual. But I can't find any mention of the hood protector in the parts manual. The toolbox is there....and so is the hood-mounted extra air cleaner along with the extra lighting kits and all the 3pt pt/drawbar pieces. But nothing for the hood protector. For that matter, I couldn't even find a mention in the parts book for the brush guard that the hood protector mounts onto.

That's too bad....the hood protector is a handy piece. But it should be able to be fabricated pretty easily. It's just 3 pieces of metal welded together, two bolts, plus some grommets & washers. It's much simpler than the brush guard itself with all those fancy bends and angles.

Dog, If you can hold off for a month and then remind me, I'll take mine off and make some patterns of the three pieces. That way they can be traced on a piece of steel, laser-cut, & welded. I'd guess most any welding fab shop could do that for the price of the kit.

Here's a mystery though..... If you look at the photo below you can see that the hood protector comes with a bushed hole and and two bolts right in the middle of it. What in the world are those for? Any ideas? Is it to mount a flag? Kubota must have gone to some trouble to add that bushing and those bolts....but why?

Attachments

• Hood Protector.JPG
    Hood Protector.JPG
    999.4 KB · Views: 110
  • 1111.jpg
    1111.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 76
   / M59 hood protector
Thanks for the very generous offer. The side arm geometry is the tricky part and the top plate position. If it was available I would have got one. Let me think on it awhile before you go to considerable effort.

Without a drawing a fab shop one-off is expensive.

The top bolts and hole are more of a mystery to me now. The bolts hold a bracket underneath? Figure the install kit instructions would make it clear. The hood protector is held down some how?

The dog and I are coffeeing up to go work on the grill guard some more. Test fitted the bumper yesterday for clearance. Screen nearly ready to weld in.