M7040 Problem

/ M7040 Problem #31  
It starts jerking at about 1100 rpm and goes away if I take it to 2000 rpm. I never liked running a cold engine at 2000 rpm so I just take it back to just above idle speed and let it warm up there. After about 5 minutes of running the jerking stops. Does the same thing after changing the fluids. Shuttle appears to be completely in neutral so I don't think that's the issue. I live in northern Cape Breton so 2 hours to the nearest Kubota dealer which is in Sydney...I'm not in the boonies but awful close.

Haven't been across the causeway in a couple years. Think orange is the only tractor dealer left in CB, the rest all closed as far as I know.

/ M7040 Problem
Haven't been across the causeway in a couple years. Think orange is the only tractor dealer left in CB, the rest all closed as far as I know.
Orange is about it. There is also a McCormick there but I don't see many of that brand around at all. There's a new development happening just outside Sydney and I'm hearing we might be seeing something green coming to town. Competition never hurts but where I live it's almost exclusively an orange area

/ M7040 Problem
If moving the high/low selector into neutral during warm-up stops the rocking then I'd call that a win.

It's supposed to be cold enough here in NS tomorrow to give it a try.

I've got 2 friends with hydraulic shuttle shift tractors, one is a MF 3645, the other is a 60 series Deere. Neither do what you've described, cold weather or not, so it's a Kubota kinda phenomenon.
A third friend has, or had, a big Kubota, might have been a 135, and he's never mentioned it. Then again, I haven't asked the question either.

Odd that it does it with the main tranny in neutral. Thinking about it, the gears in the tranny are still spinning on their shafts, just not engaged. The viscosity of the cold oil would make it act like a torque converter, as MHarryE suggested a while back.

The high/low selector might have enough clearance between the gears that it "disconnects" the tendency to keep things spinning in close proximity.

The fact that it goes away when it's warm lends weight to that theory too.

If I'm chatting with the local dealer (Nova International outside Windsor) I'll ask if they've seen this before. They see more than a few agricultural size tractors, so the larger customer sample might have more results. I don't see them often, the 3400 has been good other than routine maintenance.

I'll ask the friend with the big Kubota if he's experienced this the next time I see him.
Thanks Chilly... I'd be interested in what you find out with some of the other owners. I didn't fire up the tractor today to check whether the jerking went away with the high/low in neutral but I will sometime in the next few days. Wind chills of -20 here today and again tomorrow so sitting by the wood fire and I just couldn't force myself to go outside. Beauty of being retired as I don't have to go out in the cold anymore unless I want to

/ M7040 Problem
Well I just fired her up and it's -10 here so of course as soon as I increase the rpm's the jerking starts. Tried shoving the high/low into neutral and sure enough the jerking stops! Big shout out to jackball for mentioning that on the forum. I don't know how that stops the issue but don't care. I'm kinda pissed at myself for at least not trying that considering I've spent the last 10 years just living with the issue. I wonder how many extra hours I put on this tractor over the years waiting for it to warm up at the lower rpm's...

/ M7040 Problem #35  
R40kh, does the 7040 have a marked spot for N on the hi-lo selector or are u just bumping it between? The 7060 just has a rabbit and turtle on the handle. Thx!

/ M7040 Problem #36  
Orange is about it. There is also a McCormick there but I don't see many of that brand around at all. There's a new development happening just outside Sydney and I'm hearing we might be seeing something green coming to town. Competition never hurts but where I live it's almost exclusively an orange area

Likely be Green Diamond then, I was surprised they hadn't opened a store L&G homeowner type store like they have in metro by now.

Carmichaels in Margaree was the last independent green one, but was told there was somebody selling "bootleg" for MacLeod's in Sydney mid 2Ks.

NH dealer was in Coxheath and CaseIH in Baddeck.

McCormick likely an RV place, LJ Patterson was heavy on them in NB.

/ M7040 Problem #37  
have not read all responses, so my comment may be a repeat. i had the same issue on M7040 hyd shuttle. it is cable connected @ steering column to transmission to activate the wet clutch pack. cables stretch & may not fully activate the clutch pack in a given direction. so there is a turnbuckle adj for cable tension in either direction. actually, it is very sensitive in adjustment. just take out the clam steering housing cover & you'll see the adj

i've also had that same hyd shuttle cable stick in the housing on my M8540. doubt in your case but a thought

Last edited:
   / M7040 Problem
R40kh, does the 7040 have a marked spot for N on the hi-lo selector or are u just bumping it between? The 7060 just has a rabbit and turtle on the handle. Thx!
No marks...just forward for low and back for high

/ M7040 Problem
Likely be Green Diamond then, I was surprised they hadn't opened a store L&G homeowner type store like they have in metro by now.

Carmichaels in Margaree was the last independent green one, but was told there was somebody selling "bootleg" for MacLeod's in Sydney mid 2Ks.

NH dealer was in Coxheath and CaseIH in Baddeck.

McCormick likely an RV place, LJ Patterson was heavy on them in NB.
I remember Carmichaels in Margaree. Actually bought my first tractor from them. It was a 1974 165 Massey and I bought it from them in 1988 and sold it in 2011 when I bought the kubota. The guy i sold it to says its still working like a charm. Don't think those guys are in the tractor business anymore. The Case IH in baddeck is mainly a L&G business now

/ M7040 Problem #40  
I remember Carmichaels in Margaree. Actually bought my first tractor from them. It was a 1974 165 Massey and I bought it from them in 1988 and sold it in 2011 when I bought the kubota. The guy i sold it to says its still working like a charm. Don't think those guys are in the tractor business anymore. The Case IH in baddeck is mainly a L&G business now

Neat, think I have some old sales lit with their stamp somewhere. Not sure when they stopped selling. Yes, McRae's was Cub Cadet last time I drove by a few years back. Eastern Industrial never had anything on the lot, wasn't surprised they closed.