M7040DTC

/ M7040DTC #11  
My m7040 runs the 15 ft batwing with ease and even going up slopes it has no problem keeping up speed. The batwing is a regular mower and leaves a very nice cut. It will have some difficulty cutting longer grass of over 6 to 10 inches since that is not what it was designed for. I have it connected to each wing so I can raise them as needed for clearance.

/ M7040DTC #12  
wise thinking. not familiar w/bat wings, but would look at the hp rating of the mower gearbox. think the 7040 has low/mid 60 pto hp. in terms of mower/tractor limitations, you might post your circumstance in the attachments forum. best of luck

/ M7040DTC #13  
The Kubota 7040 seems to be an awfully popular tractor used by the road right-of-way mowing folks in my area. I'll have to look to see what size mowers they pull.

Some of the previous posts mentioned that the two different transmission options also differ in hydraulic flow. That might be more important than you think if you're ever thinking of a hydraulic auger or post pounder in the future.

/ M7040DTC #14  
Thank you. I'm not in a rush at all, but in my experience, Winter is when prices are at their lowest and inventory is at it's highest. Once Spring hits, there will be more buyers.

I have never run a batwing before, but after using a 6 foot cutter for the last 18 years, I really want to go with the biggest mower that I can get!!! I'm just nervous that a 70 hp tractor can handle a 15 foot mower. My neighbor does it with a 70 hp Zetor, so I know it's doable. I've been thinking 12 foot would be better, which is why I'm only interested in 70 hp or bigger.
We were told 12 ft would be ok. The Athens Kubota dealer sells a bunch of 60 series and mowers. However we still use weed slingers and a bush hog. No batwing. We mostly cut hay the rest of the time.

/ M7040DTC
I looked at this tractor yesterday and I really like it. I also looked at several other brands of similar size and some that where a lot bigger. What really struck me is just how much I liked the size of the 7040. The bigger tractors just seem too big to me. I just want to mow my open area and keep the weeds down, and to be able to carry round bales around. I didn't start it up or do anything with it, I just sat in the seat and walked around it. I talked to the sales guy and he said that they didn't finance anything, and to go to the bank down the road if I wanted a loan. That kind of put me off. I'll talk to my bank later this week to see what they say, but I'm not expecting too much since it's a ten year old tractor.

/ M7040DTC #16  
I love our M7060. Yes it is a great size. We move bales and mow with it all the time. The shuttle transmission is smooth, FEL is very responsive and smooth. My Dad and I demoed a Deere 5 series and the Kubota M series 2 Summers ago when it was 105 out...the deciding factor was the AC in the Kubota. Much better. It gets so much use last time I was back in TX I had to do his required service, and he got scolded for not doing it already! We also used it to put up a squeeze chute system (Priefert) for the cattle, very useful with fine movement and tighter quarters. Im headed back this Sat for a week, cant wait to get some more seat time on that machine. Very nice machine.

Last edited:
   / M7040DTC #17  
I've borrowed my neighbors 12 foot bat wing. It's a tow behind - not a 3-point. My M6040 powered it just fine. Mowed my larger meadows. Meadow grass was about 8 inches high. I mowed at the lowest setting - around 2 1/2 inches.

HOWever - if I were to purchase any type of "bush hog" type mower - I would first figure out something to combat the damn dust. My M6040 is open station and that big 'ol bat wing really makes the dust, wild pine needles, trash, debris - etc.

/ M7040DTC #18  
I've borrowed my neighbors 12 foot bat wing. It's a tow behind - not a 3-point. My M6040 powered it just fine. Mowed my larger meadows. Meadow grass was about 8 inches high. I mowed at the lowest setting - around 2 1/2 inches.

HOWever - if I were to purchase any type of "bush hog" type mower - I would first figure out something to combat the damn dust. My M6040 is open station and that big 'ol bat wing really makes the dust, wild pine needles, trash, debris - etc.
Yes in TX we cant mow anything without dust...makes a cab so, so nice. Dust, hornets, heat...so nice.
In CO by contrast no dust, no stinging insects, no heat in the mountains in the spring, summer, fall so I like open station. Winter...not so much.

/ M7040DTC #19  
That's a nice used tractor. Flint is just down the road, south from me.

/ M7040DTC
When I posted this, they wanted $34,900 for it. I noticed today that the price has gone up to $39,500. I like a lot of things about this tractor except the transmission. I also thought it was overpriced before, and now it's grossly overpriced. Hopefully this trend comes to an end, but I honestly worry that it's just going to get worse.