M8540 Loader Decision

/ M8540 Loader Decision #1  

Glowplug

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040HD
Now I'm more confused than ever. For 3 years I have been planning to get a tractor. For the past nine months I have been researching, debating, studying, and thinking about my options on a DAILY basis. For at least the past 7 months I had decided on an M8540 HD12 ROPS w/ canopy, hydraulic shuttle, and FEL. I have been planning on getting a Quicke Q35 loader instead of the Kubota LA1353. See recent thread, Loader Arms Too Big, for more details. The Quicke loader is much better crafted than the Kubota loader and has better specs. I say that being a big Kubota fan too. Lots of the farmers around here have Quicke loaders on their Kubotas and McCormicks. The loader is attached to the subframe of the tractor in an identical manner as the Kubota LA1353. But today, while at my Kubota dealer, I discover that the Quicke loader does not have skid-steer type QA but has "Euro" style implement hooks. Now these are apparently the most widely used worldwide loader attachment hooks. But my concern is that will limit my loader implement options. Most of the loader implements in the US appears to be skid-steer type. I was planning on eventually getting a grapple, such as Millonzi, and a FEL mounted snowplow such as Curtis or Meyer. But those would seemingly be incompatible with the loader attachment. These euro style hooks are the same as are on Buhler loaders. They are actually apparently more stable with a more sure-fit and more polished and easier to attach implements than the skid-steer type loader attaching mechanism. But I do fear my plans for a grapple and snowplow would be destroyed. I suppose this is a similar situation as having a John Deere I-Match system.

Now I know that Buhler makes a skid-steer adapter plate but Quicke does not. It should be compatible with the Quicke loader though. I suppose that's an option.

Has anyone ever used these euro style loader implement hooks?
Would it just be better to get a Kubota LA1353 loader put back on the tractor?

/ M8540 Loader Decision
I just found the following statement on McCormick's website in regards to their loaders:

"Each model is equipped with a Euro Tool Carrier enabling quick installation of a broad range of loader implements. Euro brackets are the most common loader linkage in the world. The operator simply hooks the implement top brackets with the tool carrier, rolls the implement completely back, and the release lever is automatically released to secure the implement in place. Hydraulic latching and release of implements from the operator platform is also an option."

This is exactly like the Quicke loader implement linkage arrangement.
I also just browsed through Quicke's brochure and it looks like they probably do have many different types of adapter plates.

Decisions, decisions, decisions. . .

/ M8540 Loader Decision #3  
The European QA standard may or may not be the biggest globally but it is very odd that a company would try to foist that off on US customers where there is a quite different standard (skid steer, Bobcat, "universal"). You'd think that the USA was a big enough market that they would reengineer a $10 part to make it compatable with implements you can rent or buy locally.

Have you contacted Quicke to see if the dealer could order you a loader with a US "universal" style attachment point?

/ M8540 Loader Decision #4  
FWIW I have been emailing back and forth with Millonzi about an adapter for my LA-1150 loader. Millonzi engineers seem fully knowledgeable about several attachment interface designs and are ready willing and able to adapt their grapple to whatever setup your tractor has. These attachment plates are relatively simple to fabricate The quoted prices seem very fair. - there's an old saying - "buy the best - you'll always be happy with it". Your posts about the Quicke loader show it has registered with you as the best. My 2 cents says go for it.

/ M8540 Loader Decision #5  
rbargeron said:
FWIW I have been emailing back and forth with Millonzi about an adapter for my conventional LA-1150 loader. I have been impressed that they are fully knowledgeable about several attachment interface designs and are ready willing and able to adapt their grapple to your tractor. The quoted prices seem very fair. These attachment plates are simple and easy things to fabricate - there's an old saying - "buy the best - you'll always be happy with it". Your posts about the Quicke loader show it has registered as the best. My 2 cents says go for it.

A word of caution. Millonzi stocks things like the universal skid steer style grapples. The others would need to be fabricated. I considered having them modify a grapple for me to fit the standard Kioti FEL (not QA) and they said they could do it but the delivery time was vague and it was clearly a one off project for them. Their production is clearly focused on universal skid steer attachments so it wasn't clear when they would actually get to customizing one for me. I jumped at the chance to take a "prototype" QA adapter they had which turned out to be either a Horst Welding adapter or a clone. That prevented a ??? time delay in shipping my order. I'd be inclined to buy the universal QA version and have a local welding shop modify the attachment plate to fit a non standard adapter. It shouldn't take a decent welder more than a couple of hours to do such a modification.

/ M8540 Loader Decision #6  
i have been getting euro hitch adapters which simply weld onto the back of the FEL implement through PFG Australia, they import Landini, McCormick and a stack of other brands. the reason is the loaders supplied for these tractors have euro hitch on them and i have been converting different implements which customers own to suit there new loader. it not a hard job with a grinder and a welder. any engineering shop could do it easily. it seems funny a loader manufacturer could not source these, as the ones i get are cast and ready to go, not fabricated. try a McCormick dealer maybe.

the euro hitch is easy to use, Im not convinced its any better or worse than others, just different.

/ M8540 Loader Decision #7  
We often use the Alo loaders as they are easy to get in a short amount of time. They might lift more or advertise to lift more but do you really want to lift more then what the manufacturer's equipment does? Who designed the tractor should know what is best for it's longeviety is my thoughts and thru the years I have seen manufacturers decline repairs for warrantee because of mismatches of equipment. To say that one style of coupler is better then the other, they both have there place but I feel the euro is more rugged then needed on many attachments like skids which would add extra weight reducing the lift capacity.

/ M8540 Loader Decision #8  
In Canada the HORST, ALO/Quicke and most other brands of large loaders all use the euro tool carrier. Only light duty stuff has the skidsteer adapters. BTW Very few ag tractors come with factory loaders here. Some JD's will have a factory loader.

On a loader with poor visibility, the euro style is a bit easier to get hooked on and they never pop off like some of the poor fitting skid steer attachments.

On a smaller loader there isn't any good reason for it, weighs alot and shuts out all the skidsteer rental attachments. On a full on ag machine its nice for bale spears and squeezes.

/ M8540 Loader Decision #9  
As a followup for reference, in Canada the normal loader on a Kubota is the ALO/Quicke painted orange and labelled Kubota. Just recently you can order the US loader instead to save some money and it comes with a euro tool carrier.

My Massey has the euro tool carrier on it and I have to say it is far superior to the skidsteer style. The brackets always fit, no tight and loose fits. Single lever attach and you only have to get out to unhook, it automatically connects when you roll the bucket back.

The weld on brackets are only 80$ here with a set of thick plates that holds the alignment.

/ M8540 Loader Decision #10  
It is hard to beat the kubota LA1153 good loader with a source for parts in the future