Mahindra 3616 pto not working

/ Mahindra 3616 pto not working #11  
When engaged, it rotates at about 35 rpm and can be stopped with hand strength. I'm leaning toward the shaft coupling. It feels like it's being driven by oil film at the shaft ends if that makes sense.will check mid pto to see if it rotates at all. We use the tractor almost daily and I just hate to tear it down, but that's where its going.
Have you tried it with engine off and engaged, did it rotate freely In both directions or only one with resistance?

/ Mahindra 3616 pto not working
Update. Began by removing pto assembly from rear of tractor. Everything is perfect. Discovered the splines shaft inside the tractor spins freely in both directions.....bad deal. Then removed top cover containing 3 point arms....case is immaculate, no debris, or any signs of wear. So now to split the HST section from rear to find out why the actual pro drive shaft spins absolutely free, no resistance at all. Hope to get pics up when I find my issue.

/ Mahindra 3616 pto not working #13  
If you haven't already, you need to purchase a Service manual .It should give you all the instructions to do it.
Did you every check the Mid PTO ? Does it do the same thing.
Also the HST uses a One Way Clutch. Probably already answered but how old is the fluid and filter? How many hours?
Just a wild thought have you checked the oil pressure in HST? Low oil pressure caused by a pump, maybe.

Last edited:
I have a digital copy of the service manual..must admit I've seen far more detailed manuals. The hydraulic oil is changed at regular service intervals and this case and gears are all pristine. When I freely spin the pto shaft I can see through the fill hole that there is no rotation at the one way clutch. Manual shows a moon key in there...I'm thinking that's my issue. Gonna try to get it split tonight.
20210428_122217.jpeg
20210428_122200.jpeg
20210428_122222.jpeg

Her it is... the one way clutch unit free spins internally. No resistance at all. This pto has only been used around 10hrs of the 700 on this tractor. And has only ran a 5' tiller each spring and fall. No oversized attachment. There is no visible breakage visible.
20210428_183312.jpeg
20210428_183321.jpeg

Call Bill's in the morning

Key intact with no marks.

/ Mahindra 3616 pto not working #18  
You say no resistance so is that both clockwise and counter clockwise movement?
If I'm reading the specification of PTO clutch the inner part turns clockwise and outer turns counterclockwise

Last edited:
The inside section spins absolutely free in both directions. The outer section could be seen spinning under power through the oil fill hole, but there is no transmission of power through the clutch to the pto intermediate shaft. (Other than the fluid film drive I described in an earlier post). I am relieved to know what the issue is, and very happy no parts grenaded into my system to plug anything. I'm just a bit disappointed at the failure of the clutch as I dont use the pto for anything but my tiller. My tiller has a slip clutch that does slip if I encounter a large rock. I actually would feel more responsible for this failure if the key had sheared off.at least then I would have to believe I over stressed the system.Thanks to every one who added input on my issue. Gonna order the part and put it all back together!

/ Mahindra 3616 pto not working #20  
Glad to hear you hopefully found the issue. Now hopefully you can get parts quick........... that's a bigger issue these days :( keep us informed.