Mahindra 5155 Anyone?

/ Mahindra 5155 Anyone? #251  
nice looking tractor kind of reminds me of mine lol.
the 5100 can come with R1s or R4s the R4s IMO are better at everything except in really wet mud with no bottom. I'm running R4s also but have seen R1s on a 5155, R4s look better IMO. and yes 1000 RPM (I assume that you meant 1K because 10K would cause RUDP in the engine) is factory idle. IMO it is better not to let it idle a lot during breakin, I try to vary the RPMs constantly during breakin or in my case breakage lol.

BTW do i get a prize for being the first one to break my tractor?
Thanks DaBear3428,
Haha I am sure it does look a bit like yours!
Yes good call to vary the RPM, I hadn't thought of that!

/ Mahindra 5155 Anyone? #252  
Thanks Woodstock Walt! I'm feeling much better about my R4's now and my rear tires are also loaded with RimGuard (beet juice). Love this tractor, just looks and feels solid! I think I read that you bought your tractor in NH, have you needed any after sales service or help and if so how did it go?
I am also looking for a printed service manual if you know where to get one? I saw a link here for a download PDF version on sale $39 but following a few links it's now on sale for $50!

I did! I originally bought a new 4540 from Knoxland Equipment in Warner, used it for two years, then traded it back to them towards a new 5155. I drove down periodically to buy filters from them as well. I originally gave them my business because they were the closest dealer to me (still 3 hrs. away) who stocked tractors larger than the 3600 series. Then they offered me the best trade deal towards a 5155. But, I have mixed feelings about them to be honest. I ordered a 3rd function kit for my 4540 through them because they marketed it as a "Mahindra" kit, but it was actually just a W.R. Long kit marked up $100. I wasn't particularly impressed by that.

Last edited:
   / Mahindra 5155 Anyone? #253  
I did! I originally bought a new 4540 from Knoxland Equipment in Warner, used it for two years, then traded it back to them towards a new 5155. I drove down periodically to buy filters from them as well. I originally gave them my business because they were the closest dealer to me (still 3 hrs. away) who stocked tractors larger than the 3600 series. Then they offered me the best trade deal towards a 5155. But, I have mixed feelings about them to be honest. I ordered a 3rd function kit for my 4540 through them because they marketed it as a "Mahindra" kit, but it was actually just a W.R. Long kit marked up $100. I wasn't particularly impressed by that.

Then we agreed to purchase the 5155, only to find out they still have to "prep. it" which is literally just loading the tires. Took them two weeks to do that. After one week of waiting I decided that I wanted a second remote kit installed. That added another two weeks. Then when it was finally ready we made plans to drive down and make the trade the next Saturday, since my wife and I both work full time Mon-Fri.

Well, Knoxland told us we couldn't pick it up on Saturday because they were having an Open House, then they're closed on Sunday... I'd pretty much lost my patience at this point, so I stated that I was coming with a trailer Saturday morning regardless, at which point they agreed that we could in fact pick the tractor up on Saturday, but only if we arrived promptly when they opened at 7:00 AM. So, 3:30 AM Saturday morning we left Maine with our 4540 in tow. You'd think a crowd of people seeing somebody load his new $40k tractor onto a trailer would be good for business.

Sorry. Rant over.

I actually need to find a printed service manual for mine as well. I ordered the 5100 PDF manual from Bill's Tractor and was sent a manual for the 4500's. Haven't gotten any response after multiple emails. I need to get around to calling them... But regardless, I want a printed one now anyways.
No worries, I don't consider that a rant...just good feedback! I will let you know if I find a source for the printed manual.

/ Mahindra 5155 Anyone?
My two cents on R1 tires. They’re the ones to have if you plan on doing a lot of heavy ground engaging work like plowing and discing in muddy mucky conditions. I’ve had tractors with R1’s and nothing pulls like them in those types of field conditions. But realistically, most of us aren’t really using these tractors for “farming” every day. So I like the R4’s because they do most other things better than Ag tires, they don’t tear up the ground as much, hold more liquid ballast, offer more flotation, have a much higher load rating and if traction is a problem in muddy conditions you can throw chains on if you need to. For utility type duties, I think the R4’s are the better compromise. I’m not making a living with my tractor, so whatever I’m doing can wait until things dry up generally. Working in the mud just makes a mess out of everything including me and the tractor. I am going to get a set of chains before next winter however so I have them if we get a really heavy snow. I hope I never have to put them on;). Tomorrow morning I’m roading mine 2 miles to the gravel pit to get a bucket load of washed stone and I’ll run it across the scale to see what the whole thing weighs. Just my opinion on the tires.

/ Mahindra 5155 Anyone? #256  
Help! Rear remotes! Am going to install a hydraulic top link on my 5155 and was looking at the factory installed rear remote couplings on the tractor. They are unlike any I have seen before. Others have, on the female side, a sleeve you pull back to install/release the other coupling. These do not, see photo. I tried pushing, pulling and twisting to no effect. Any advice on how to attach to the rear remotes? Thanks

Attachments

• Rear remotes 5155.jpg
    Rear remotes 5155.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 57
   / Mahindra 5155 Anyone?
Well I drove the tractor to the gravel pit for two reasons. Number one I needed a bucket load of washed stone to freshen up around my front man door. And two I wanted to find out what the tractor actually weighs. So it’s heavier than I calculated based on owners manual and the beet juice I have in my rears should add up to. The tractor, with the loader, loaded rear R4’s and a full tank of diesel weighs in at 8,940 lbs. that’s without me in the equation. My calculated weight was right around 8,000 lbs. So at almost a 1,000 lbs over the calculated weight, I think Mahindra has understated the weight of the tractor itself. Whatever the reason that’s the actual weight of tractor loader and loaded rears. Thought other owners would find it useful.

/ Mahindra 5155 Anyone? #258  
Went by my dealer on the way home and they are putting it back together, it only took 3 days to get the parts. I took some photos of the failed parts.
B8E970A7-1782-4BC2-8072-BC7111F1FD8E.jpeg
4CE569AE-1F02-4899-AB8F-DC2E8A744EBF.jpeg

/ Mahindra 5155 Anyone?
Well there’s your problem :sneaky: Glad they didn’t have any issues getting the parts. Too bad you got a bad set of spider gears. Hopefully all is good now.

/ Mahindra 5155 Anyone? #260  
Help! Rear remotes! Am going to install a hydraulic top link on my 5155 and was looking at the factory installed rear remote couplings on the tractor. They are unlike any I have seen before. Others have, on the female side, a sleeve you pull back to install/release the other coupling. These do not, see photo. I tried pushing, pulling and twisting to no effect. Any advice on how to attach to the rear remotes? Thanks

My 5155 came with two sets of quick connect male ends to attach to an implement of choice. They are 1/2" AG fittings. The fittings on the tractor are called breakaway fittings - nothing to push or pull on the tractor side. To connect the fittings, firmly push the male fitting (implement side) into the tractor-side female. It'll pop into place and attach securely. To disconnect, just give it a firm yank. It'll pop loose without leaking hardly anything.

They are designed that way to prevent damage to the tractor's hydraulic lines in case the implement lines were to ever become tangled in a spinning PTO shaft. But, they work really well for easy connect/disconnect, too. Honestly, I went through the same thing when I first used them because I'd never had factory-installed remotes before. But yeah, just shove the male fitting in to connect them and pull it out to disconnect - easy.

Well I drove the tractor to the gravel pit for two reasons. Number one I needed a bucket load of washed stone to freshen up around my front man door. And two I wanted to find out what the tractor actually weighs. So it’s heavier than I calculated based on owners manual and the beet juice I have in my rears should add up to. The tractor, with the loader, loaded rear R4’s and a full tank of diesel weighs in at 8,940 lbs. that’s without me in the equation. My calculated weight was right around 8,000 lbs. So at almost a 1,000 lbs over the calculated weight, I think Mahindra has understated the weight of the tractor itself. Whatever the reason that’s the actual weight of tractor loader and loaded rears. Thought other owners would find it useful.

Really! Funny, I did the same thing and calculated an estimated weight using the weights listed in the manual plus the loaded tires - came out to 7,996 lbs. My old 4540 weighed 7,496 lbs., and I was accustomed to the way my pickup behaved while towing it. Towing the 5155 home I kept thinking to myself, "This thing is definitely more than 500 lbs. heavier." That would explain why! So, thank you for doing that, Andy! That's good to know.

Went by my dealer on the way home and they are putting it back together, it only took 3 days to get the parts. I took some photos of the failed parts.

Nice, great news regarding parts availability! Sounds like you've got a really good dealer, honestly.

Last edited: