Mailbox location on a rural road

/ Mailbox location on a rural road #51  
bcp - rural fire district did the same thing here in NE WA state. I attached the sign directly to the mailbox post. My driveway is a mile long. Straight West off the county road. You would have to have pretty good eye sight to see a house number at that distance.
Full metal address signs required with metal posts. The purpose is to identify your location when your house burns down in a wildfire. So if you moved it to a wood post not sure that is what they were looking for…

/ Mailbox location on a rural road #52  
When doing generator service in our rural backwoods, most people don’t post addresses. Id be so lost without my garmin gps.

too many tinfoil hat types out here. Afraid if they post their address the “gobment whilst know what’s they live….” i guess.

/ Mailbox location on a rural road #53  
Why does the post office care which side of the driveway your mailbox is on? I get that they'd want it at a height that matches the window of the carrier's vehicle, but the other part I don't get. It's not like you get so much snow in N.C. that keeping access clear should be a problem.
Mine has been before the driveway everywhere I've lived for the past 45+ years and the PO's never complained.
Carrier prefers to have hard surface drive to use as a turnout is what I was told..

My drive abuts property line so before drive would be neighbors… also a ditch.

When I was away I noticed my box had been moved a few feet past and mounted with 6 others… 2 new homes built in my abscence.

It’s much better and looks good and easier for carrier.

I asked and was told the new home builder did it at no charge to us existing.

Last edited:
   / Mailbox location on a rural road #54  
My mailbox is 600 feet from any neighbors. I still get their mail all the time. I even have a label on mailbox listing my name and address. Doesn’t matter.

i think the PO does it on purpose.. I’ll actually get 2-3 different address mail at a time.
In Oakland with mail slots in Garage Doors it’s several times a week some weeks… got to know more of the neighbors by hand delivering

/ Mailbox location on a rural road #55  
All of the mailboxes on our road are on the west side of the road.

They are located close to the driveways for the houses on the west side.

They are located as close to directly across from the driveway for the houses on the east side of the road.

The driveway for the house across the road from us is about even with the front door of our house. So their mailbox is directly in line with our front door. It makes for some confusion, as people think the box is ours.

Often times, they get our mail, and we get their food deliveries! 🙃
My brothers box is across the road on a semi blind curve with vehicles going 50+ with posted 45mph.

For years he would not let the kids get the mail as too dangerous.

They have the old farm property in the county and across the street is city limit so lots of houses.

For a hundred years farm was served by a different post office but now it’s the city across the street.

/ Mailbox location on a rural road #56  
My brothers box is across the road on a semi blind curve with vehicles going 50+ with posted 45mph.

For years he would not let the kids get the mail as too dangerous.

They have the old farm property in the county and across the street is city limit so lots of houses.

For a hundred years farm was served by a different post office but now it’s the city across the street.
We used to live at the bottom of a mild hill. In the summer, with windows open, right as local bar was closing, we'd hear the screaching of brakes at the bottom stop sign. When my son was born, small 1/2" or so branches made there way into the street. We'd hear them being run over, but was not a deterrent. Somehow, larger diameter branches made there way onto the street. Big wapping noise as they were run over, but still, didn't stop the speeding. This was after requesting police to oversee, using our property to hang out and watch. Something about entrapment...wouldn't do it.

/ Mailbox location on a rural road #57  
For many years, we've been getting mail for someone with the same last name but a different address in our rural roadside mailbox. Got tired of writing "Not known at this address" and putting it back in the box. Repeated complaints to the post office have had no effect.

Unfortunately, it's mostly junk mail. Why couldn't it be a social security check or tax refund once in awhile? 😁

/ Mailbox location on a rural road #58  
Parents moved in back in 1969 and still occasionally get mail for the previous owners… class reunion for one came recently… it was a postcard and since I know where they moved I dropped it off…

/ Mailbox location on a rural road #59  
Lots of variables.

Mom's road is low traffic with good visibility. For normal approach, box on left side of the road 10 or 20 ft before the driveway. Pull into left lane, get mail, then hang a right into driveway. Solid road shoulders. A little gravel has held up well.

My mailbox is on the right side of the road past my driveway. Moderately busy road on a slow arcing curve

I must pull into the drive, then get out and get the mail. :(