Making a barn out of shipping containers. Any ideas?

/ Making a barn out of shipping containers. Any ideas? #1  

Happy Gilmore

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford 5610 Ford 4630 Ford 3930 MFWD w/ 7310 loader Ford 3930 Kubota BX1500 Kubota RTV 900XT Kubota F2680E 72"RD Ford 4610 Kubota KX121-3
I currently have 2# 20' shipping containers. I just ordered a new 40' container, hopefully be here next week. I'm looking for ideas or pics of putting up a barn style structure up using the containers. I'd back to back the 20's for one side and use the 40' on the opposite side. I was thinking about getting trusses for a roof system.

/ Making a barn out of shipping containers. Any ideas?
Cool bcp.

image.jpg

I like this idea.

/ Making a barn out of shipping containers. Any ideas? #4  
I currently have 2# 20' shipping containers. I just ordered a new 40' container, hopefully be here next week. I'm looking for ideas or pics of putting up a barn style structure up using the containers. I'd back to back the 20's for one side and use the 40' on the opposite side. I was thinking about getting trusses for a roof system.

What did you pay for your containers? I want to do the same thing.

The 20 footers were new one time shipped that were purchased 7 years ago for $2600 each. The new one time shipped 40' double door I just purchased was $4200 plus $1300 to ship from NJ to MA and no sales tax. In MA the same container is going for $7000 plus tax and around $200 to transport locally. I saved approximately $2000 going to NJ.

/ Making a barn out of shipping containers. Any ideas? #6  
Times have changed. About 5-6 years ago, my son bought two 40 footers for 1200 each...delivered.

/ Making a barn out of shipping containers. Any ideas? #7  
Thats because everyone wants to build homes out of them now.

Used beat up 40s were $2500 locally, refurbed 40s were $4500. The refurbed looked awful, but with a new paint job.

The pricing has definately gotten out of control, I tried everywhere under the sun locally and tried NJ because of the large port.

/ Making a barn out of shipping containers. Any ideas? #10  
No matter what you do, create a roof with trusses as otherwise it will become a hot humid oven and rust all the contents. Create some openings to have ventilation as well. Otherwise a great structure that can be very secure.
If you plan to heat as for a shop the only option is really foam and then a standard wood structure is probably more economical.