Making a Creek Pond

/ Making a Creek Pond
I piled up lots of rocks to make my tractor crossing and have achieved ONE small (4') mini-pond.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221118_213349_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20221118_213349_Gallery.jpg
    820.7 KB · Views: 79
   / Making a Creek Pond #32  
I piled up lots of rocks to make my tractor crossing and have achieved ONE small (4') mini-pond.

I see it. It looks nice - a lot like the first ones I did. They were small too. The problem on each small creek pond is always getting access. As you've probably found, the hard part is getting close enough to the water to accomplish anything. But once you build one access point it gets easier. Especially if you make it wide enough for a tractor.

After literally decades of trying to get the hang of making creek ponds, what really made mine take off was several things: One was going to different rims with wide industrial tires for more tractor stability. Another was getting a long backhoe with a thumb. Then I bought several truckloads of rocks - some I trailered and some were delivered by a road construction crew for a fee. Then I hired an old retired experienced backhoe guy for a couple of afternoons to run my tractor while I watched and learned. I'm pretty good with the hoe - being close to 80 - but sure did learn a lot more just from watching him.

BOTTOM LINE: If you have a stream in a gully, a traditional pond is hard to do. The solution to that turns out to be making a series of stepped little ponds with each one feeding the next.

rScotty

/ Making a Creek Pond
Thank you, Scotty. I have a friend with a backhoe....maybe he can help. Thanks again