Making Ends Meet

/ Making Ends Meet #1  

MasseyWV

Elite Member
Tractor
In these tough economic times, we all have to do whatever is necessary to make ends meet.

In my case, some recent financial setbacks caused me to change/postpone my tractor shopping, in favor of buying a new dump trailer. The only problem is that I am still a little short of cash which means that I will have to wait until I have saved the rest.

Being that I am from WV, buying cheap and selling for a profit, in addition to barter and trade, are simply a part of the local way of life. That said, today I bought an older model Chevy Cavalier from a family member for $300. It runs good and only has some minor problems which are easily fixed. In fact, I know the cars entire history since it was new so it's a very safe investment. After making some minor repairs, I am reasonably certain I can resell it for $1000-$2000 or potentially trade it for a truck that is worth a little more, thus making a considerable profit during the process.

Where there is a will, there is always a way.

Last edited:
   / Making Ends Meet #2  
I once heard of a guy that traded a paper clip for something of higher value. He continued to trade each item for a higher valued item until he got himself a house.

/ Making Ends Meet
When I was younger, I used to swap and trade all the time and if one is careful, a considerable profit can be made over time. I stopped doing it because it can be a headache, in addition to being risky, but I think I'm going to give it another go sooner than planned because saving money the old fashioned way is just too darned slow for my liking.

I can't say that I'm looking forward to the whole process, people trying to low-ball or cheat you, idiots, scammers, etc... but sometimes you have to do what you have to do.

Fortunately, I know what I'm doing and have done this many times before.

/ Making Ends Meet #4  
Have you thought about starting a local Flea Market and renting spaces out? You can sell items there also. I am not aware of your local ordinances. I am just tossing this suggestion in the pot as a possible alternative source. Just a thought?

/ Making Ends Meet #5  
I get what you are saying, just having trouble with the premise. For the vast majority, these times are pretty good. Media would have you believe otherwise.

/ Making Ends Meet #7  
MasseyWV, what part of West Virginia are you located?

/ Making Ends Meet #8  
Living thru tough times makes one stronger also grateful.

/ Making Ends Meet
I get what you are saying, just having trouble with the premise. For the vast majority, these times are pretty good. Media would have you believe otherwise.

I never give any credence to what the media wants me to believe and while I'm certain that many people are doing just fine, as evidenced by so many new "toy" purchases, the same can't be said for all of us.

Living thru tough times makes one stronger also grateful.

It does indeed.